Ran 11.65 @ 120.3 in a virtually stock Viper!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Heffner:
....The only mods to the car are roller rockers, smooth tubes, and my own modified airbox. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great numbers Jason. What tire presures in the P-0s? That is a real surprise,as P-o is relatively hard tire.......Imagine drag radials !

[P.S. PartsRack is partnered w/ Jason on the professionally rain-debaffled and refinished new airbox that Jason spoke of. $269 on our IRS REFUND SPECIALS]

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire Pressure was 30 P.S.I they were 18" tires. I did just a little burnout in first gear with no water just to get the rocks off of the tires. When I Staged the car I would bring the RPMs up between 3000 and 3500 and ease the clutch out but being careful not to let it slip too much. Just about as soon as the car gets rolling I would let the clutch all the way out and at the same time ease the gas pedal to the floor. I found that I got my best 60 foot times if I let the car spin a little bit. It just takes a little practice. When I first got the car I was running low 12s with 2.1 to 2.2 60 foot times but I just kept practicing until I figured it out. The main key is going to the track when there aren't many cars there so you can make a couple of back to back runs. Good luck guys.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... not to mention that east-coast track prep. 1.70 60's on 18" street tires??? I got 1.82s running (cold) M/T ET streets, ferheaven's sake! Granted, Jason's undoubtedly much more experienced than I at drag launches, but we can't be doing all THAT much that's different...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good runs tomorrow at Sacramento.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
[P.S. PartsRack is partnered w/ Jason on the professionally rain-debaffled and refinished new airbox that Jason spoke of. $269 on our IRS REFUND SPECIALS]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JohnB can you give us more info on this new airbox? Explanation on why its needed and some pics would be nice. I can't imaging picking up much if any HP over a stock airbox. Thanks

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car didn't have cat back exhaust mods? Did you have filters in your airbox? No aluminum flywheel?

What happened to your supercharged car Jason?

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some friends and I rented Maryland International Raceway on Wednesday and had a great time. There was twelve cars there, two Vipers including mine and a variety of other cars. I made twenty passes almost all of which were in the 11s and my best two were 11.65 amd 11.67 both slightly over 120 mph. The only mods to the car are roller rockers, smooth tubes, and my own modified airbox. My best 60 foot time was a 1.70 but as luck would have it I missed third gear because I was too busy thinking about how good of a launch that was. My other 60 foot times were in the low 1.8s and one 1.79 on Pirelli P Zeros. Mark Brown had his 98 GTS with only smooth tubes and was hot on my heels with a best of 11.70. It was a great time for everyone and it only cost 100.00 per car. Anyone interested in taking a day off of work for some drag racing in the future in the MD/VA area please e mail me, you won't be sorry.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The supercharged viper is mine, and its still around running 10's on pzero's. I was with Jason and Mark at mir and witnessed those impressive runs with the good short time.The track prep played a small role but the truth is the good short time is from the ability to ride that clutch to the exact maximum before it gets too hot and keep your rpms up and your wheelspin down. And since we all race together we have that technique pretty well dialed in. I think that the guys that run the good 60'post the good numbers and the guys that don't run good 60' don't et and its as simple as that, its the drivers not the track.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. No, I don't have any exhaust mods or aluminum flywheel, but yes I did remove the air filters. Believe it or not those 60 foot times are not that phenominal, I ran the car at Englishtown in the 11s in front of the whole eastern VCA and was ripping off consistent 1.8 60 foot times all weekend. Also I didn't say that I had consistent 1.70 60 foot times, I was only able to pull that off one time most of the other ones were in the low 1.8s but the 11.65 pass was with a 1.82. Good luck this weekend treynor, let us know how you do.

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 35 years of drag racing in pure stock cars, driving corvettes, chevelles, camaros, novas, grand nationals snd now my vipers, i have never gotten any of the above mentioned cars into the 1.6, 1.7 sixty foot time on street tires with the afore mentioned modifications.i have met and personally know some very good viper drag racers and they and myself alwways ride the clutch out.i quess what im saying is that with all the great viper drivers across the country all of whom understand about riding the clutch you would think one of them could have posted a 1.6 sixty foot time on pirieli p - 0( hard compound ) by now. i guess what im saying and i think other members maybe thinking is that i do not believe those sixty foot times. with the car completely stock... thanks for listening Doc

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
Great times.
More details please.
At what rpm did you shift?
Did you go through the traps in 3rd or shift into 4th?
My opinion is I believe, and inquiring minds want to know!
Nice job. Looking forward to seeing you run in person maybe at the next regional.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Great times. If I did not know any better I would say that your Viper was on steroids! Good job.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ET is all about the first 60 feet..... I have heard that a slight slipping of the clutch is the key to sub 2.0 60's in the Viper.... I'm going to try it next time at the track....

I have been pretty much idling the car out of the hole, then hammering it.... best 60' is a 2.09, which resulted in a 12.06 @ 120.8.....

Brooks

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the VCA Rendezvous this weekend @ Route 66 raceway I made some time runs with the bracket cars.3 fastest were 12:40-12:51 @114-115mph,with snake-oyl and bullet cats,K&N's,tubes and Stock tire presures.All 1.91-1.96 60ft.Temp./Hum.=90/80's.A few months back same track VCA event,3 passes @12:34-12:47,@ 115mph with temp.@65,stock car with K&N's.I'm counting on a cooler night for a few more MPH.Jason,what temp/HUM.was it.Most cars running 120 mph have headers,exhaust,ect.ect.ect.Also I ran these times thru 3rd gear with the limiter poping off @ the traps.Tried lowering shift points and hitting 4th but ET.dropped to 12:67.Thanks for giving us something to shoot for!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best 60s on real street tires Eagle GS/A 1.78 at Norwalk. On M/T DOT 1.45 at Norwalk. Viper owners. Come and lay em down at the Viper Nationals Sept 15-16. Where? Norwalk Oh

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't those times better than what any mags have printed for the Viper? Rhetorical question obviously.

Makes you wonder. If I remember the best stock times are low 12s. I guess the timing system is off by a few tenths.

-Avi

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off I want to say that I NEVER made any claims of having a 1.6 short time, my best 60 foot on a freak run was a 1.70 the next best was a 1.79. Tire pressure was 30 psi and I always shift at 5500 and come through the traps in 4th gear. Yes I am absolutely sure that my car has no other mods to exhaust or anything else. The best magazine test I've ever seen was in a 00 RT driven by Evan Smith. His best pass was 11.77 @ 121mph. This was in a completely stock Viper. I don't know what the barometer was like that day but it was 95 degrees and low humidity. The key to not blowing thetires off in 2nd gear is to slip the clutch on the starting line so that it will slip a little when you shift. I have found that the hotter you get the clutch the faster you go. To run these times in a stock Viper is not unheard of. Iknow of at least four different people who have done it and they can all get in anyones car and do it. Anyone who wants to get together and rent the track for a day just let me know. I'm always glad to go racing.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
....I was with Jason and Mark at mir and witnessed those impressive runs with the good short time.The track prep played a small role but the truth is the good short time is from the ability to ride that clutch to the exact maximum before it gets too hot and keep your rpms up and your wheelspin down. And since we all race together we have that technique pretty well dialed in. I think that the guys that run the good 60'post the good numbers and the guys that don't run good 60' don't et and its as simple as that, its the drivers not the track.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are very impressive times, and I appreciate the tips on technique for launching on street tires (though I expect most of my experiences at the track from here on out to be on slicks). Next time I have to run on street tires, I will give this a try.

That being said, I think it's an oversimplification to state that the track has nothing to do with ET. I'm not saying you aren't all better drivers than me, maybe you are. I am saying that in an ideal world, you could all come out to Carlsbad and show me your ability to get a 1.7x short time there on street tires. They use VHT so sparingly at Carlsbad, you'd think they were putting Mouton Rothschild on the track. My short times are typically a half a tenth to a tenth slower at Carlsbad vs. Pomona, and now Pomona is no more for street legal drags.

Anyway, again, good times!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
singlemd4u there are three things you are overlooking, and first just because you are thinking it isn't true doesn't mean anybody else agrees with you. Second, you need a good amount of horse and big tires to 60' and all those stones I mean cars you listed, and I should know because I had them all, none of those cars could barely get out of the fourteens much less in the 11's
stock, hell probally not with nitrous.And last you shouldn't call somebody a liar just because they can drive better than you, Jason ran good that day better than anybody else but I have personally driven and watched other bonestock vipers turn better ets than 11.65 and so have most of the md va vca members that show up when I race.No offense intended to anyone seriously, but if your running mid 12's in a gts don't modify your car take driveing lessons it will be cheaper and more rewarding.You think you have seen the best street tire viper drivers in the country but you haven't, you live in illinios and were on the east coast.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason it's very cool of you to detail your proven drag technique,( we don't want our viper brothers getting blown away by stock C-5's and stangs).But to say you'll jump in anyone's car and run 11's,NOT.How's a car like mine for example gonna hit 11:99 or quicker with 115 mph,"you got it or you mod it".

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are alot of guys that can put stock cars in the 11's Mark Brown ran 11.91 at 116 with a 1.88 short time. Some guys just don't drive as good as they think they do. There way more bad drivers than good ones and if you want to figure out which one you are see if you have an 11 sec time slip if you don't, well enough said.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOOFST, what year Viper do you have? I know it may be hard to beleive but when I first started drag racing my Viper my very first pass was a 12.54 @ 114 mph. After a little more practice I found that the 60 foot time played a huge role in making MPH. It was very tough for me to relearn how to launch a radial tire car because I'm used to driving race cars with slicks where you just let go of the trans brake and you're gone. The problem with running your car on a weekend test and tune is the fact that you can only make a very limited number of passes and also the fact that there are too many imports. I've noticed that a lot of those import cars will stage their cars with the a/c on. This is a problem because the evaporator drain leaks water right onto the starting line and then a rear wheel drive car comes up and wastes another run. The first time I was able to get my car into the 11s was at a VCA rendezvous in New Jersey There were so few cars there that I was able to make some back to back runs and get some low 1.8 60 foot times. It just so happens that I won the stock class that weekend and set the low et. So beleive it or not I can jump in your Viper and run 11s and so can you with some practice. Have fun.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie and Jason,Boys and girls i'm sure you mean well and getting the viper in 11's is just fantastic,but either of you understand performance or drag racing(your just good drivers).My car went +-.2 as fast as she'll go on that given day temp/humd.and recorded 385rwhp.Jamie your completely backwards.If driving skill is consistant through shifting,as your 60ft.lowers so does your MPH.Most guys can boast MPH but have slow 60ft.and ET's.At may's VCA event I went 12:34 @115 with a 2.0 60ft.Second fastest of the day by .06 out of 35+-vipers,some with 550rwhp.Track was simply ice.The cars close to me had MPH in the 123-4 range.65 temp.I'm retired from NHRA S/ST,S/G classes 15yrs.I've had many street shootouts with the infamous outlaw champ Tony Christian.One of my new fabricators went to the 1/4's this past weekend in the IHRA 10.5 street tire class 8.87,who watched me run on friday and agreed,she's done and needs some $$$help.Once again in close,if you don't MPH or dyno at 425+ your not gonna see 11's with stock tires.If you care to prove me wrong I'll give you 2/1 odds,+ costs come on down to chicago.We'll keep it friendly.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"if you don't MPH or dyno at 425+ your not gonna see 11's with stock tires"

Do you mean at the rear wheel?