Random Tech cats (Help!) - NJ/Philly area

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to install R.T. cats on my 2001 GTS. I have no desire to modify the car any further. The only reaosn for installing the cats, is to cool down my rocker panels... Any suggestions as to which cats to go with?? the 2.5in. or 3.0in... The car Currently has a Corsa cat-back system on it...

Can anyone refer me to a GOOD exhaust shop in the Philly/South NJ area.. That I dont have to worry about my car getting butchered at..

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, Has anyone ever had check engine light issues after doing this? May be a dumb question, just thought I'd ask..

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.0in for SURE. I had the same dilemma. Your Corsa is 3", so there is no need to constrict it even more than it already is. Have the shop cut the 2.5" end off of the Corsa, and either clamp or weld the exhaust side of the cats to the Corsa. On the flex header pipe side, you'll need a 3 to 2.5" reducer (Jon B. sells them).

Depends on your year car as to the check engine light. If you have 98 or newer, you'll have the light come on unless you get the Sean Roe 02 sims...

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your '01 will not trip a check engine light from high-flow cats. 3" RT/HF Cats will give your Corsa a louder and raspier sound.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, how come the 01 won't trip the light? I just bought an 01, and I'm about to add hiflows to it when I get a chance... I had to have the sims on my 98.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I will have to set that up with him. Chuck is about 2 hours from me.. But it would be worth waking up real early one day and getting it done with.. I have had MANY problems in the past with local repair shops, that butchered my Z06..

Looks like I will go with the 3'in. cats and have Chuck do them... Hopefully, there will be no check engine light issues... thanks for the help guys..

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, how come the 01 won't trip the light? I just bought an 01, and I'm about to add hiflows to it when I get a chance... I had to have the sims on my 98.

A hiflow Cat is still a Cat, so the O2 sensor system which measures pre and post cat operation stays intact and functional and hence no check engine light.

You won't need SIMs unless you take the cat out completely which causes the pre and post cat O2 sensors to read exactly the same thing resulting in a check engine light.

I have Corsa, RT HF Cats and Belanger headers on my '01 with no check light.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys... what would I do without this forum..

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RJ best investment i ever did was to get rid of the cats. ever though i totally got rid of them, I am sure you will feel the best benefit of all with high flow or cat-less setup. NO HEAT. but why bro, you dont have to drive 2 hours to go to Chucks place. thats rediculous. any muffler shop around here could do the work. Just my opinion but why drive 2 hours there, wait 3 hours to have system installed and 2 hours back. i know what you guys are saying, it doesnt take 3 hours to put the cats on, but when was the last time you went to a shop for the simpliest thing and it takes twice as long as it should. Ron, with my vette I took the car to a shop in berlin, the guy was awesome. very professional and anal getting everything done correctly. even let me sit in the shop bay while he worked on the car! also, do yourself a favor and call Sean Roe up and ask him about the 02 sims he sells. he will know if your car will trip the engine light. i never had an issue with the catless setup on my 97 gts but my car is not a 2001. your car is affected totally differentt to various mods mine is immune to shall we say. call me for more info, also where is my CARFAX you ran for me kid.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me know where you end up and how you like the high flow cats for the power gain and heat loss, it is a mod I am highly considering.

Right now I only have Roe smooth tubes and filters.

Thanks,

Howard

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TaximanI,
I just had the same exhaust set up installed on my 2000 RT/10. I live in Bucks Co. and had the work done at the local Dodge dealer. They installed the cats and the corsa catback with no problems. No check engine light problem. System sounds great, now sounds like you would expect the Viper to sound and the sills run much cooler. Doylestown is much closer than Chuck Tators and I know the service people well and trust them. Good luck.
Pavenom

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mighty GTS Enthusiast,
Yes, right you are! Thanks again for letting me see and hear your car. Next day I ordered the parts and decided to have them installed at the local Dodge dealer. Car sounds great like a Viper should.
Regards,
Pavenom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Incinr8