Rattling noise from the center of the dashboard? Need your help.

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
Some of you know that I only had my 05 (first Viper) for few days, well I noticed that it has some trembling noise like a thin plastic or tin can metal when I reach speeds of 60 and above.
I took it to the local dealer (Redwood city dodge) and its been two days now and they still can't figure out where this noise is coming from.
Any ideas or known problems that you guys encountered similar to mine?

Thanks.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SFY: Do a search on here and you will find the possible solution. I had a similar rattle on my 08. After searching here, I found that I needed to remove the center defroster cover, then remove the defroster tube itself and trim the edges of it. Solved my problem. Hope you're able to do the same.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a fairly common problem. There are some threads related to solving the rattle. You remove the center defroster grille and smooth off parts of the defroster air defuser to get more clearance between the defuser and the grille. The factory started doing this to some of the cars, but yours still may be hitting. However, on my 2006 Coupe, the rattle was solved by forcing foam strips between the dash top and the underlying dash metal after removing the defroster grille. The area to the drivers side of the grille needs the strips to stop the rattle. PM me and I will give you more specific information.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep defroster...had the dealership remove the vent and fix it for me as well in my 08 Coupe.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.Remove the defroster grille from IP (using trim stick or equivalent).

You must be registered for see images

2.Remove the defroster duct mounting screws (2) and defroster duct (Fig. 1).
3.Using snips/cutters, remove upstanding flange around entire outlet side of duct (Fig. 1).
4.Remove any loose debris from the defroster duct area.
5.Reinstall duct with two screws, tighten the screws to 1.6 - 2.2 Nm (14 - 20 in. lbs.).
6.Reinstall defroster grille making sure it is secure around entire outside edge.

OP
OP
S

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
1.Remove the defroster grille from IP (using trim stick or equivalent).

You must be registered for see images

2.Remove the defroster duct mounting screws (2) and defroster duct (Fig. 1).
3.Using snips/cutters, remove upstanding flange around entire outlet side of duct (Fig. 1).
4.Remove any loose debris from the defroster duct area.
5.Reinstall duct with two screws, tighten the screws to 1.6 - 2.2 Nm (14 - 20 in. lbs.).
6.Reinstall defroster grille making sure it is secure around entire outside edge.

Wow! Great write up. Thank you!!!!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's hillarious that every time this page is refreshed, the picture changes. Anyone else notice the picture has nothing to do with the instructions?

BTW Robbie, I saw the first post, and I know what it's supposed to look like. I guess ALLDATA is changing their links.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do believe AllData is screwing with me on this one. I do have a subscription but whenever I post here the pictures only work once for some reason. If needed shoot me an email and I will copy and paste the above instructions into an email.

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of you know that I only had my 05 (first Viper) for few days, well I noticed that it has some trembling noise like a thin plastic or tin can metal when I reach speeds of 60 and above.
I took it to the local dealer (Redwood city dodge) and its been two days now and they still can't figure out where this noise is coming from.
Any ideas or known problems that you guys encountered similar to mine?

Thanks.

This drove me nuts on my new 2010 ACR. It sounded like it was a frame noise issue at first and than it was somewhere behind the dash. I did a search on here and found these posts. I have the same issue. I wrapped on the dash a little and it duplicated all of the noises I was hearing. I have to fix it yet but will.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every Viper comes with a squirrel in a cage. The snake chases it, thus producing 500-600 horsepower. Pull out the center dash panel and oil the cage. All will be fine.:lmao:

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too just noticed a rattle and a creaking sounds from the center console plate. I was trying to put my finger on what it was, and then Did put my finger on it. If I pushed on the middle of the center plate just below the air vents all of the rattle and squeaking went away.

I was thinking of just trying to tighten the bolts around the panel, but it sounds like I might need to take it off and add a little foam or something to the backside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper