Reached the tipping point: the stock 2013 exhaust interior dB level is unacceptable

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Reached the tipping point: the stock 2013 exhaust interior dB level is unacceptab

Also I don't think my experiment with the additional sound deadener is working. It quieted the car down in the wrong way, meaning it's quieter during acceleration, there's a little less growl, but it didn't affect the drone at all. So I'll be taking my extra deadening out, I miss the noise on acceleration.

One thing I know others have done with other cars to change the 'drone zone' is to install a J pipe in the exhaust. It's a pipe shaped like a J that's attached to the side somewhere in the exhaust path. It doesn't go anywhere and doesn't affect exhaust flow, but it changes the frequency where the exhaust drones, so instead of 2100-2500 rpm it would move it to say 3100-3500. With as confined as our space is under the car I can't imagine this being a solution, but it's a thought for the creative types out there.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Reached the tipping point: the stock 2013 exhaust interior dB level is unacceptab

Now I understand what those 2 J contraptions are on the intake tube of my 2012 CTS-V

Attachments

• DSCF6510.jpg
    DSCF6510.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 61

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also I don't think my experiment with the additional sound deadener is working. It quieted the car down in the wrong way, meaning it's quieter during acceleration, there's a little less growl, but it didn't affect the drone at all. So I'll be taking my extra deadening out, I miss the noise on acceleration.

One thing I know others have done with other cars to change the 'drone zone' is to install a J pipe in the exhaust. It's a pipe shaped like a J that's attached to the side somewhere in the exhaust path. It doesn't go anywhere and doesn't affect exhaust flow, but it changes the frequency where the exhaust drones, so instead of 2100-2500 rpm it would move it to say 3100-3500. With as confined as our space is under the car I can't imagine this being a solution, but it's a thought for the creative types out there.

Did you put foam or mats?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Won't it also alter your drivetrain warranty?

No. If anything, the 3.07 gear set has a stronger pinion than the 3.55 gear set. Since the Gen V uses the same rear axle housing as the previous Gen 3/4, then you could have a dealership install a Mopar 3.07 gear, which came factory in the Gen 3/4.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have my calculator out, wouldn't that mean 1st gear would run up to like 70-75?

I like our 1-5th gear ratios paired with the 3.55s. But I wish 6th was .5 or even lower. And the solution is not a 7 speed, the notion of needing that many overdrives is odd to me. Some reporters are saying with the new Vette hitting 5th gear is now a challenge because you instinctively push all the way to the right hitting 7th.

You can change only 6th gear in the TR-6060 transmission (5th and 6th gears are separate pieces instead of a cluster like they were in the T-56). RPM transmissions is just one state away from you in Indiana, and could easily do this.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can change only 6th gear in the TR-6060 transmission (5th and 6th gears are separate pieces instead of a cluster like they were in the T-56). RPM transmissions is just one state away from you in Indiana, and could easily do this.

Thanks, very good info. Once I'm closer to being out of warranty I can see myself doing this.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dropping a 3.07 with the Gen V transmission gearing is not a very good idea. The new TR-6060 gears (1-3) are way too long. Here are speeds (6400rpm) for different final gears.

3.55 3.07
1 63 73
2 91 106
3 121 140
4 144 166
5 187 216
6 228 264

The difference in cruising speed/rpm is actually relatively small. At 75mph, a stock Gen V cruises at 2050rpm, while a 3.07 final gear would only drop it to 1800rpm.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dropping a 3.07 with the Gen V transmission gearing is not a very good idea. The new TR-6060 gears (1-3) are way too long. Here are speeds (6400rpm) for different final gears.

3.55 3.07
1 63 73
2 91 106
3 121 140
4 144 166
5 187 216
6 228 264

The difference in cruising speed/rpm is actually relatively small. At 75mph, a stock Gen V cruises at 2050rpm, while a 3.07 final gear would only drop it to 1800rpm.

I would think dropping 3.07 gears in the car would be a no-brainer. Dude, going 264 MPH in 6th gear is way cooler than going 228 MPH! :)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn't want to kill the torque to the rear wheels. You're talking a 14% reduction, which translates to poor acceleration. The gear ratios are just ideal, I love them on the street or track. Seems to me there are better solutions to drone than changing gear ratios, leading candidate for me is the Corsa exhaust. The problem with changing gear ratios is you're still going to run into drone. Around here, expressway speed limits are 50 MPH, and freeways are 55, 65 or 70 MPH. No getting away from the drone zone.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am wondering if a person ran one 2.5 inch tube from one side to the other like an long H pipe, if it would help with the resonance.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What about wrapping the mufflers and side pipes up in some heat-resistant insulation tape? That would also change the resonant frequency.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What about wrapping the mufflers and side pipes up in some heat-resistant insulation tape? That would also change the resonant frequency.

Interesting idea. That may also help with this supposed paint melting issue that Motor Trend mentioned. Anyone seen any evidence of this yet?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Todd,

no melting paint, but i have a smidge of yellowing where the cat is on the drivers side. I'll have the dealer note it and fix it sometime in the future

You must be registered for see images attach

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Todd,

no melting paint, but i have a smidge of yellowing where the cat is on the drivers side. I'll have the dealer note it and fix it sometime in the future

Motor Trend must be right!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's kind of always been an issue... I had a friend who bought one of the Gen II GTS-R cars, and the white side sills completely cooked up and turned yellow around the cats. He wasn't happy...

Some people used to drill vent holes in the sills (right behind the front tires) to cool things down, but that was a little bit sketchy in my opinion. The high-flow cats seem to resolve the problem just fine - they don't heat up anywhere near as much. Downside is that they sometimes throw CELs, and in Cali, the smog check stations sometimes will give you grief.

Heat wrap can help, but it really just slows down the heat soak. If you drive for several hours, the heat will eventually propagate through. Also, there isn't a lot of clearance in there - so one or two layers of heat wrap is about all you can fit and still be able to align the sills properly.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About the weight of stock vs Corsa catback system, here is the answer I got from JonB at Partsrack who contacted the man in charge of the Gen5 system at Corsa. BTW I'm ordering a set as I often cruise in that specific rpm range with windows up. I will Dyno before and after.

" Stock Gen 5 system weighs 40 lbs (lowest bidder). Corsa weighs 46 lbs, all Stainless, lifetime warranty"

CORSA system weighs 6 lbs more than OE, overall.....see below.

Jon "JonB" Brobst ~ Thank You For Your Business
"If It Fits On or In a VIPER" www.viperpartsrack.com
tel 360-837-3937 / 8:30a-530p Pacific Time.
~~See our Track-Drive Review of the Awesome 2013 SRT-GTS at:
http://www.allpar.com/reviews/13/viper.html

In a message dated 9/11/2013 11:38:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
Jon,

The system helps with the sound that occurs during the 2000 and higher rpms, but does not completely eliminate due to the fact that this is a side exit exhaust.

Our results with the GTS are better than that of the standard SRT Viper as the GTS has additional sound deadening in the cockpit.

Overall we reduced the tonal peaks that exist with the stock system and produced an exhaust that is more even in sound pressure level throughout the entire rpm range.

As for the weight, our Corsa System is a total of six pounds heavier then stock. So yes it’s heavier. We use more steel because we are not just a simple pack muffler. We increase flow while bringing DRONE down to a subjective level. Of course we could make a lightweight pack tube muffler that makes noise. But that’s not what Corsa is known for. We sell sound and acoustics.

Best Regards,

Michael Geul

Technical Service Representitive

P:440-891-0999x177

F:440-891-1868

www.corsaperformance.com

My Gen IV has Corsas from Jon B and they produce dramatically better sound than stock. Stock sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I have never noticed drone on my Gen IV. I did notice drone on my C6Z with headers and every other car I have ever owned that had headers. I would give Corsas a try.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the OEM muffler/ The yellow rule is a yardstick.

Part Number

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Todd,

LOL thats actually exactly what motortrend showed on their video. Yellowing followed by melting paint. Better keep an eye on that. Seems like MT didn't lie.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a 2013 viper with the Corsa exhaust at the dragstrip. This was the first run, the car had the CEL from removing the air cleaner. In addition, I had the shift light set at 6100, that caused me to hit the limiter. I now have the light set at 5800, that works well.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dmrVyjSRGbw

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone have a good photo of how the Corsa exhaust tips look?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala