Ready to take the plunge

Nikko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
For the last couple of months I have been trying to find a SRT to test drive having the worst luck. I am seriously considering trading in my 2003 M3 Convertible for a 2004 SRT. I am just a little concerned about all the talk about all the heat issues , hard ride talk and overall quality of the car.
All this talk about BMW guality is BS, my car is two years old the automatic convertible has stopped working like 5 times, everytime the dealer has to reset the computer to get it working again, Plenty of rattles coming from the back, when the convertible is up. Seems like M3 coupe guys dont have as many problems. The M3 is quick and all but I definitly miss big block american muscle. If I purchase the Viper it would be my daily driver in the summer months. Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nikko: My wife had an M3 and they are totally two different cars. What I like mechanically about the Viper is its simplicity. It is not immersed with useless electronics which are prone to malfunction. We had the same issues with the M3 and my wife opted for a CTS-V which is a superior car.

Viper Quality - mine has been superb and has not been to the dealer once.
Heat Issue: It has one of the best ACs which overcomes the heat issue. Also, read some of the threads on how to deal with heat.
Power - is limitless- with a Paxton SC you will always get a rush you will never get in a Bimmer.
What I like Most? the ability to upgrade the beast- engine,interior,and exterior. First sports car I have not been bored with. If you buy used make sure a Viper Tech checks it out.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said :2tu: , but if you are looking for a summer daily driver, I wouldn't go with the Viper( it depends on where you live)...

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultimately, all cars will have thier discrepancies. I have had several BMW's and they have their problems. I have a couple of friends that have multiple problems with thier M3 coupes and one has had alot of problems with the SMG transmission. If you go to the M3forum.com you will notice even more problems.
Vipers don't go without their problems if you read more in the forum but that is the nature of the beast. Bottom line: the Vipers behavior, unreal horsepower and incredible looks outweigh the minor imperfections.... :usa:

I just purchased my viper and it is an incredible machine but not something i would use as a daily driver. I have a Audi for a daily (especially with the snow storms here in colorado). I suppose you can use a Viper for a daily driver but it will be more exposed to the elements (weather, door dings, people, kids etc. LOL). If you can afford it, get a daily driver and purchase the Viper for a toy... You won't regret it :2tu:

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
For the last couple of months I have been trying to find a SRT to test drive having the worst luck. I am seriously considering trading in my 2003 M3 Convertible for a 2004 SRT. I am just a little concerned about all the talk about all the heat issues , hard ride talk and overall quality of the car.
All this talk about BMW guality is BS, my car is two years old the automatic convertible has stopped working like 5 times, everytime the dealer has to reset the computer to get it working again, Plenty of rattles coming from the back, when the convertible is up. Seems like M3 coupe guys dont have as many problems. The M3 is quick and all but I definitly miss big block american muscle. If I purchase the Viper it would be my daily driver in the summer months. Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I too come from owning a 2004 M3 coupe, and also a 2002 M5. On the M5, I had waterpump issues at 12k miles. There was green stuff all over the inside of the motor. The car was nothing but a headache. It was a great daily driver. The viper is a completely different animal. I do not use it for a daily driver. I have other cars for that duty. I drive mine on nice days, and it never sees any rain. Different strokes for different folks, but you can daily drive it if you desire so.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an BWM 745 as my daily driver and now I have the SRT10 and I haven't had any problems at at. I know guys with 100k miles that haven't had any problems either.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the rest of the responses great car and great fantastic performance. The heat issue can be dealt with by changing the stock exhaust to and after market exhaust system.

As for it being a daily driver..............well I don't know. The car attracts way too much attention and my concerns would be someone driggering the alarm system as it inevitably happens to me all the time. If you like your privacy , I guarantee this won't be the car for you.

I have had mine for about a month now and all I can say is that I wish my summers were longer here in Canada. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think a Viper can be a daily driver the attention and being worried about people leaning all over it, scratching it because they're jealous etc. are all things to think about. I can't think of not owning one...I know I will NEVER sell mine!

OP
OP
N

Nikko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys
thanks for all the informative responses, I definitely understand everyones reservations about daily driving, The SRT is a work of art, people all over it must be a constant problem. Alot of owners mentioned the ride is real hard is it something that becomes unbearable? The M3 has a hard ride, but the worst part is the rattles every time you hit a *** hole or bump in the road. Thanks again for the great info and insight

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in a 2004 BMW M3 Coupe for the Viper. No regrets and still having a blast every time I take the Viper out for a ride (2,000 miles in less than two months). I was bored with the M3 after the first couple of weeks of ownership. Not so with the Viper. My wife says I'm always grinning when I come back from a ride. There's no sequential manual gearbox, dynamic stability control, computers or "sport" buttons in the Viper. Driving the Viper is intense and even a little intimidating at times. Damn this thing is a lot of fun! Get the Viper - you won't regret it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas