rear differential

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to install 354 gears in my 98. Has anybody used Snake Oyl's complete assembly. It has a new housing with the gears already set up. I would rather have a seperate rear end so I can just pop it in withot having to re-do my existing rear end. They say that there housing is made with stronger alloys and am wondering how many different places there are to buy a complete assembly. I have bought from them before and have the highest regard for the quality of there workmanship, but just wanted to get a little imput. Thanks!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another alternative is Unitrax. They seem to put out a very high quality product. I have never heard a complaint about their gears for Vipers, or their support. To me, that speaks volumes.

I'm not sure if I understand your question about buying an entire assembly? Are you referring to the entire housing for the Dana or a completely different rear end (other than the Dana)? I know that some very serious racers go with a heavier duty rear end that is stronger than the stock Dana. If so, I would call Dan Cragin at Claude Short of Jerry at Unitrax to hear what they have to recommend.

I've also had good dealings with Snake Oyl, so please don't view this as anything else than an alternative. I don't know much about the rear end solution that they carry.

Good luck.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any sense for how much the 3.55 gears will shave off of the top end? Will top speed still be achieved in 5th gear?

I realize that the top speed issue is largely symbolic, but symbolism sometimes looms large, at least in one's mind if nowhere else.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check VCA Home Page under cook book. There is all the math on gear changes.

I bought a complete spare rear for $800 out of classifieds, paid $160 from a Dana Spicer dealer for 3.55s and had the stock car boys set it up for $250. Now have my original rear as a spare for the cost of a gear change in the original case.