Recall or not to recall...that is the question

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of you with low mileage cars (less than say 3,000 miles) are going to have the recall done to your cars...

My car has never beeb cracked open by anyone since new, and I hesitate to do such a radical repair as this. I'm wondering if the car will be worth more untouched (completely original) or better off with the rapairs? Any ideas?
confused.gif

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really a great question.

I'd love to hear from some of the wiser types on the board on this issue.

My guess? No difference whatever.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I'd view the recall completion as a benefit to future value IF the recall is completed properly.

10 years from now, when you sell your car, they'll be a record that it wasn't completed and no parts available for the new owner to do it.</FONT f>

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first of all, i agree with ron, failure to comply is a point against you, secondly, as one who had it done (eagerly so) it only reinforces the areas concerned. not wanting these areas stronger is irrational logic. if someone said hey youve got poor muscle tone, heres a way to improve your skeletal muscles and become stronger overall (exercising) youre saying you wouldnt do it (especially if it was done for you and at no cost!) All I know is they did no cutting, just welded extra reinforcements on, did an A1 quality paint job and im sure its better than the original now.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what your saying is...

taking the car apart...welding the frame and adding new hardware will actually help the car hold its "original" value?

I'm not sure the pure hobbyist would agree...but I appreciate the advice.

Bye the way, how long are these recalls generally good for?

A year from issue...two,three years?

Second, any idea how much these recall kits cost?
I could maybe purchase it and hold on to it for future use?
What do you think?
confused.gif
confused.gif

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Revin wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'm wondering how many of you with low mileage cars (less than say 3,000 miles) are going to have the recall done to your cars...
My car has never beeb cracked open by anyone since new, and I hesitate to do such a radical repair as this. I'm wondering if the car will be worth more untouched (completely original) or better off with the rapairs? Any ideas?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same thoughts, before going to the dealer today for other maintnence work and had the frame inspection done. I have a 97 gts with 6200 miles and no frame cracks.

I had the service advisor and Viper Tech do the inspection with me observing and had them point out all the points of possible failure.

Once the inspection was done the viper tech showed me what braces and connectors and where they would have to be welded into place. They are just reinforcements in case you crash and hit a curb hard or track the car latter.

I will just need the reinforcement kit. I believe it is 2 brakets and a frame connector. Book says 3.5 hours, dealer said plan on leaving it for a few days.

I wont get it done right away but definately before the end of this year. Just go have the inspection done and observe, you will see that it is not as bad as you think, if your car has not been crashed in the front or tracked.

If you ever do crash a curb hard with out the recall work being done, you might be worse off, because then you might need the more extensive repair, which is like 20+ hours??.

Also let say you do have a problem and dont get it, inspected or fixed after being notified of the recall in the mail and you crash and injur or worse kill some people, due to this defect. You might loose your legal ability to hold DC responsible for damage caused by there frame defect, because you did not want the frame recall work done.

The first frame separation happened over three years ago. Yet it has only taken three people to die in their Vipers for them to make it a recall.

Just food for thought.
Good Luck

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&lt;&lt;So what your saying is...
taking the car apart...welding the frame and adding new hardware will actually help the car hold its "original" value?

I'm not sure the pure hobbyist would agree...but I appreciate the advice.

Bye the way, how long are these recalls generally good for?

A year from issue...two,three years?

Second, any idea how much these recall kits cost?
I could maybe purchase it and hold on to it for future use?
What do you think?&gt;&gt;

These are GREAT questions- I asked similar ones last week, without much feedback-

I, too, am rather hesitant to risk the damage inherent in performing this recall, for questionable benefit and necessity. The recall itself mentions clearly "Aggressive driving, such as racing, may lead to cracking and separation of : [steering and differential areas]". On the other hand, if the welds do crack it "could cause an accident without warning". The key question is have there been any non-tracked Vipers found to have weld cracks? Is it believed to be next-to-impossible to have weld cracking in a non-tracked car?

As for future value, there is no question in my mind that in 25 years an unmolested, all original car will be worth more.

I like the idea of having the recall kit to keep with the car for potential future installation...would it be necessary to buy it, or can we obtain one free under the recall if it is not installed at the time?

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great question...some interesting opinions, so here's mine. My car is a '99GTS with 5600 miles. Immaculate in every way. Never been raced and cared for as well as any of my children were. Probably as crazy about my car as anyone who reads and writes on this board. OK, but this is a RECALL. The manufacturer has determined that this failure can occur and it is detrimental to the safety of the vehicle. This is not heart surgery or some other significant operation on a human being. It's a car, albeit we love them, but it's a car! Adding a reinforcement or changing out a cross member is hardly rocket science! Hell, Sean Roe's supercharger kit is infinitely more complex and a whole bunch of respondents have said..."put me on the list....I'll buy your next one...it's about time, I want one." Come on Viper owners, do the correct thing for yourself and the car. Have the car checked and if it needs the update, get it done. Cracks don't heal themselves and manufacturers DO NOT issue recalls without substantial data to back them up! Your mechanic is not DC engineering...they do know what's right for the Viper.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Following up on the logic here, one would say that no TSB's should ever be done, no recalls, no updates, etc. in order to keep the car "virginal" thereby maximizing it's value.

While I can certainly understand the desire to avoid molestation and maximizing value, I respectfully again suggest this scenario:

10 years from now, you want to sell your car. The potential buyer has the following issues to address:

Safety Recalls
TSB 998 MAY 02 Recall - Steering Rack / Differential Mount
TSB 731 JUL 97 Recall - Airbag Control Module
TSB 712 APR 97 Recall - Passenger Air Bag Safety

Emissions Recalls
TSB 726 OCT 97 Recall - OBD II Catalyst Monitor Non-Functional
TSB 725 SEP 97 Recall - OBD II Catalyst Monitor Not Functional

Service Bulletins
08-01-99 JAN 99 Vehicle Security System - Malfunctions
08-49-98 NOV 98 Electronic Entry Module - Fails To Respond
18-11-98 MAR 98 Engine - Rough/High Idle
18-32-97 DEC 97 PCM - Erratic Rpm Drop/Perceived Misfire
09-08-97 NOV 97 Engine - Oil Pan Seepage
23-59-97 NOV 97 Rocker Panel - Corrosion
05-09-97 NOV 97 Front/Rear Brakes - Noise, Squeal, Moan, Chatter
23-58-97 NOV 97 Interior - Strong Resin Odor
08-14-97A JUN 97 Battery - Premature Failure
14-02-97 MAY 97 Engine - Lack of Wide Open Performance
181597 APR 97 PCM - Intermittent Misfire/Or MIL ON/No DTC's Set
081797 APR 97 Vehicle Theft Security System - Malfunction
23-03-97 FEB 97 Black Plastic Body Components - Chalky Residue Safety
08-10-97 FEB 97 Instrument Panel - Backlight Flickers
08-06-97 FEB 97 High Mount Stoplamp - Flickers on Braking
23-04-97 FEB 97 Seat Belt - Rubs on Quarter Panel

How does he do it, given the car is now 15 years old and out of production for 10?

Sure, if you're planning on putting it in a time capsule for 15 years, I'd agree. Or if you acquire the materials to complete all recalls and TSB's as someone has suggested, I'd agree. But if someone wanted to buy the car 10 years from now and enjoy it safely, I'd think he'd have a hard time paying full value given that the alarm doesn't work, the oil pan leaks, the intake gaskets are bad, the PCM is causing a misfire, the frame is of suspect strength, etc.

In my opinion, better to have all factory authorized updates performed now while you can and then put the car in the bubble.

</FONT f>

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand what Matt is saying. But I think it needs to be done for the fact that safety is the factor on this recall.

A miss fire, high idle or the others are not critical, but when you loose steering control, there are no options.

My concerns are elsewhere:

1) Is the mechanic going to attempt to sneak a "Test drive"?

2) Is the work qoing to be quality? Is the car going to be better than when it arrived?

I can speak from experience. I was a mechanic for a while. Those white trash sons-a-bees would run the crap out of every Corvette that came in for an oil change. Much harder than you would see in a simple 1/4 mile drag run.

I treated every car as my own when it entered the shop. I did not care if it was a old Tercel or a new SUV. That was someone's hard earned money.

I could not take it anymore. One day without notice, I loaded my toolbox and walked out. I had had enough of the low lifes.

There are some good mechanics, but not many. Just because they are Viper techs, makes them no different. Usually you have to really look out for the service writers and service manager. They are always the first to run the piss out of your car, scratch it, or take it to lunch!

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should definitely have the recall done. If you are thinking of not doing it because you are worried about how they will treat your car YOU ARE TAKING IT TO THE WRONG DEALERSHIP!!!! You should find a Viper tech who you can trust with your car and build a relationship with him. This way you know that your car will be treated correctly.

If you don't know of a good Viper tech in your area you should turn to your local region president for help. They should know who to patronize and who to avoid in your area. And if you're not a club member join!!!! Learning about the best way to deal with issues like this is one of the benefits of being a member....

And the repair is not that radical if you car does not have cracks. Yes, it does require welding by a qualified welder but again the key is having a Viper tech who you can trust with getting the recall done correctly...

Cam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This recall really isnt that bad. there is no dissassembly of the car at all to add the reinforcement and gussets. it only gets bad and requires more than a day if frame parts have to be replaced. Just make sure you take it to a well known viper tech and make sure he/she can weld ok.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe my ACR will be worth more with the original belts.

That's a recall.

That's a safety issue.

They just flat look better, and the problem causing the recall was overblown because of Ernhardt.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, I wonder how many certified welders there are a various Dodge dealerships...I also imagine, quality will vary greatly from shop to shop...no two repairs will be alike. It would be much more palatable taking the car to a shop that SPECIALIZES in such repairs. I imagine I will eventually get the recall done, but not before investigating where the best possible shop is.
Another option, I imagine, would be to buy the kit and have the shop of my choice install it...
confused.gif

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, this is a great question. How will the recall work affect the resale of the car?

I can only speak for myself but here goes....

If I were considering purchasing your car and in my research I found the RECALL, I would most definitely place a higher value on the car if it had been performed. If the parts for the recall were no longer available or if it were no longer possible to have it performed by the dealership, I would place an even higher value on it.

Again, I can only speak from my experience but regarding the welding, my dealer is bringing in a guy who has 30 years experience and makes his living with a heliarc machine. He sews up high pressure gas pipeline for a living. I'm pretty certain he can handle this. Unlike a stick welder, there will not be **** all over the place as the heliarc is a much 'cleaner' method of welding.

Now, without regard to your question of value.... For safety reasons, I am compelled to have it done. At the same time, taking it slowly seems prudent. My approach to this has been to understand the recalls, familiarize myself with the procedure and talk to the Viper Tech to make sure he has a good understanding of both the inspection procedure AND the 'fix'. Fortunately, my Viper Tech is excellent and I am comfortable with his knowledge and ability.

I take mine in next week for the inspection.

BTW, Henry...... Thanks for the info! It was of great value when familiarizing myself with the recalls!

Reaction score
In the past, several of my cars have been recalled for safety reasons. I received notification from the California DMV stating that the recall hadn't been performed yet and that it needed to be done before I could re-register my car.
You all should check your state (federal?) laws--this recall might be mandatory to ensure re-registration of your Vipers!