Recent Viper crash in Miami on Route 1

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George...I have the same problem, wear x-wide New Balance cross trainers...they are comfortable, but not great for the closely spaced pedals in the Viper.

I wear Nike Air Max's not because I WANT to but because my back actually needs them, didn't have a problem in the two gen 4's I drove last year.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People say a lot of things that do not neccessarily have to be true or remembered correctly for that matter, how does saying what a person SAW make it an instant FACT when it does not have to be that way?

Not any more so than yet another interpretation of facts known as the official report that has not come out yet. But on a public forum, let alone planet Earth in general, it's what we get to do. Guess at stuff. Don't like it? Leave Earth, don't talk to anyone, blah blah.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not any more so than yet another interpretation of facts known as the official report that has not come out yet. But on a public forum, let alone planet Earth in general, it's what we get to do. Guess at stuff. Don't like it? Leave Earth, don't talk to anyone, blah blah.

Don't get me wrong I make guesses too, but prefer to make them educated because out of jealousy for instance or too many thoughts at the same time people can and will twist what they REALLY saw. "Oh yea women wear high heels all the time she did too"..
I guess what irks me is when people get their judgement and sight wrong, putting the other person in a world of trouble as a result.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not always that way. Men tend to remember certain things better than others. In this case, the driver is a good looking female who was wearing high heeled sandals.

Regardless of any other fact remaining to be determined or subject to verification, there are unquestionable facts here: The Viper was proceeding South on a multilane highway with an elevated divider ( about 8 inches or so high). The Viper jumped the divider into a north bound lane and went directly into the path of the oncoming Prius resulting in a head on collision. No other cars were involved. No one cut the Viper off. The front and rear seat passengers in the Prius died. The driver of the Prius survived. The driver of the Viper survived.

Absent an unforeseeble mechanical failure which was not due to the owner improperly maintaining the vehicle, the consequences of which cannot be reasonably controlled, it is the driver's responsibility to maintain control of a vehicle at all times under all conditions. For instance, someone mentioned that the tires may have been wet. Any person with a functioning brain who leaves a car wash knows or should know that the tire tread is wet and drive accordingly. Another responsibility of the driver is to know that a Gen IV Viper is a 600 HP track car that happens to be streetable which has no nanny tech. The owner's manual more tha adequately discloses the nature of the car.

People say a lot of things that do not neccessarily have to be true or remembered correctly for that matter, how does saying what a person SAW make it an instant FACT when it does not have to be that way?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>it is the driver's responsibility to maintain control of a vehicle at all times under all conditions.<<<

That is the point. Wonder if we will ever learn what went wrong...and why neither the Viper driver nor the Prius driver tried to avoid the frontal collision? There should have been plenty of space on multiple lane roads? :dunno:

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
there are unquestionable facts here: The Viper was proceeding South on a multilane highway with an elevated divider ( about 8 inches or so high). The Viper jumped the divider into a north bound lane and went directly into the path of the oncoming Prius resulting in a head on collision. No other cars were involved. No one cut the Viper off.

Actually, I don't think you can state that no other cars were involved and no one cut the Viper off as unquestionable facts - unless there is more info that hasn't been disclosed (like eyewitnesses). Another vehicle could have cutoff the Viper, causing her to swerve and jump the median. That person could have continued down the road and never heard from again.

I'm not saying that happened, but it could have and thus the two statements can't be unconditional facts - unless, like I said, there are undisclosed details.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In defense of the woman driving the Viper, high heeled sandals as you've now stated Bob, they are likely not quite the same as what I envisioned as possibly stiletto heels or the like. Still far from a good driving shoe in the case of the heeled sandals tho.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper jumped the divider and went right in front of the Prius. For whatever reason, the Viper driver was clearly not in control of the vehicle. The Prius driver would not have had time to do anything.

>>>it is the driver's responsibility to maintain control of a vehicle at all times under all conditions.<<<

That is the point. Wonder if we will ever learn what went wrong...and why neither the Viper driver nor the Prius driver tried to avoid the frontal collision? There should have been plenty of space on multiple lane roads? :dunno:

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No other cars were involved and no one cut her off. This occurred less than one quarter mile south of the car wash/detail location. That location is on the southwest corner of a busy intersection with a stop light. There are other facts but, as I said before, it is not appropriate to post them here.

Actually, I don't think you can state that no other cars were involved and no one cut the Viper off as unquestionable facts - unless there is more info that hasn't been disclosed (like eyewitnesses). Another vehicle could have cutoff the Viper, causing her to swerve and jump the median. That person could have continued down the road and never heard from again.

I'm not saying that happened, but it could have and thus the two statements can't be unconditional facts - unless, like I said, there are undisclosed details.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very good point there.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know what brand of high heeled sandals she had on but here is one example of what one looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

In defense of the woman driving the Viper, high heeled sandals as you've now stated Bob, they are likely not quite the same as what I envisioned as possibly stiletto heels or the like. Still far from a good driving shoe in the case of the heeled sandals tho.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver of the Viper may have sneezed! I have been a victim of this :(
In my case the driver sneezed, at the same time taking her hands off the steering wheel and closing her eyes for a split second or two, that was enough to make her car swerve into the rear side of my car (not the viper).

The police put it down to act of god and she was not prosecuted

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Bob et al...

I am not a gawker, I see plenty of car accidents/injuries when out on calls...many here due to drinking and driving. As a Viper owner and VCA member, I think my concern - other than those who died obviously - is to understand the cause to determine if the Viper was at fault. Way too often in an accident involving a high performance car, people judge hastily and place blame on the driver of that car. We have often heard things like "oh yeah, it was a Viper...probably driving way over the speed limit".

So, if it is driver's error or carelessness, okay then that is on her as it would be with any driver. If the press or whomever starts blaming her BECAUSE she is driving a Viper, that is different and impacts all of us.

The driver of the GTS near me in Sherman, that was his carelessness and not knowing how to handle his car... unfortunately, he died as well, and that is where our thoughts should be.

I'm with you there! Powerful cars are meant to be driven by better drivers and not to place blame here without knowing....but accidents are caused more by people than the car they drive. Can anyone say a Viper is more dangerous than a Toyota for instance? A lot of people dying in those lately. Of course that really is the car's fault with the defective accelerators screwing up.The roads are dangerous out there. My condolences to the folks hurt and i know nothing about who was at fault,but i am sure a lot of folks will be blaming the car.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if the left front wheel for whatever reason came in contact with the median... that could essentially pull the car to the left and make her jump the median. heels would have nothing to do with it. how long has she been driving the viper? i know mine tends to roadwalk just a little if i hit uneveness in the road, could that have pulled her left into the curb?

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Miami, those are high heel sandals. We are a very fashion conscious town. If you Google "high heel sandals", you will see many photos that look similar. I think that Chad should start raising the awareness of the female population in Georgia regarding this issue. By the way, I am not saying that the foot apparel caused the accident. But that type of foot apparel would not allow as much control as other types of foot apparel such as low heeled shoes or tennis shoes. I think that it is safe to assume for purposes of the analysis of what may have happened that the driver had very limited experience with the vehicle in question.

Those ain't sandals Bob... At least in Texas they ain't.

Last edited:

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Miami, those are high heel sandals. We are a very fashion conscious town. If you Google "high heel sandals", you will see many photos that look similar. I think that Chad should start raising the awareness of the female population in Georgia regarding this issue. By the way, I am not saying that the foot apparel caused the accident. But that type of foot apparel would not allow as much control as other types of foot apparel such as low heeled shoes or tennis shoes. I think that it is safe to assume for purposes of the analysis of what may have happened that the driver had very limited experience with the vehicle in question.
so heels may not have had anything to do with it as so many of you have stated in this thread? if you stand by your statement in bold, then why have you been pushing the heels theory so much?

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because regardless of whether the type of shoes caused the crash, a Viper should not be driven with them on. They do not allow sufficient control in predictable contexts. It is not unusual for there to be multiple causal factors for such an event. A lack of experience with the car can be made worse by improper shoes. Although arguably one could posit that if you have had sufficient experience with the car, then you would wear Viper appropriate shoes so the shoe issue could be considered a subset of the experience issue.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do we know this woman hasn't driven Vipers for 18 years in her heels or any other high performance sports cars and what happened is an accident, nothing else???

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
She has not. But it is still an accident. No one has suggested any intentionality to the event.

How do we know this woman hasn't driven Vipers for 18 years in her heels or any other high performance sports cars and what happened is an accident, nothing else???

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We don't. That don't stop everyone from talking about it though because as humans ,that's what we do. Until we do know what caused it,we will keep talking and we will all have opinions and as many who are right will be wrong. Actually probably many more wrong. But you are correct. How do we know? :usa:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We don't but that would take all the fun out of this ridiculous thread if true.
Dick Tracy will get to the bottom of it. It's become a crusade now.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....in her heels....

nice avatar pic VicTxV10 :D

:tx:

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver had little experience in a Viper. Not a guess - a fact. So far, considering the serious posts, the following should be noted - particularly by young enthusiasts or new Viper owners who have not done any homework about the car:

1. It is a streetable race car with no nanny tech.
2. Its pedals are close together and, more than some cars, require precise foot placement.
3. Appropriate footwear should be utilized when driving a Viper to maximize control in all contexts.
4. The electronic throttle on a Gen IV can, under certain circumstances, be a bit tricky. For instance. Assume hypothetically that you drive your Gen IV hard. Further assume that you allow someone else to then drive it who is inexperienced. The vehicle will still react like you are driving it regardless of the new driver's skill set.
5. When leaving a car wash with a 600 HP car with no nanny tech make sure that your tire tread is dry before using any of the power.
6. Do not text or use a cell phone while accelerating with a Viper.

All of the above are obvious to an experienced Viper driver. But not to an inexperienced person who knows little or nothing about the car. What combination of the above factors, if any, caused this tragic event remains to be determined.

I started the thread to generate a discussion. I think that most of the posts were helpful. There have been over 4600 views of this thread. If one accident is prevented, it was well worth it - and that's not ridiculous.

We don't but that would take all the fun out of this ridiculous thread if true.
Dick Tracy will get to the bottom of it. It's become a crusade now.