Red Air Intake Tube and K&N or Green Filter

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally bought a red 97 GTS Viper about 2 weeks ago, it’s a dream come true and its only now sinking in that I’m a Viper owner. I have spent hours at a time in a trance looking at it in disbelieve of how beautiful it is and that its actually in my garage.

Well I have now started the upgrades. I installed a B&M short throw over the weekend, which went well. I’m happy with the feel over stock. I’m now looking for the red smooth intake tubes and cannot find them anywhere. Any suggestions on where to buy them? Also what filter would you guys suggest the K&N or the Green High Performance Air Filter? Thanks -John

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB @ partsrack can hook you up with just about anything Viper .... give him a call or email about the tubes. I think most have gone the K&N route on the air filter ... but I'm just guessing that based on what I see as mods in the signature and on posts.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JohnnyViper - I remember that feeling when I first bought the Viper. Driving it home from the dealership was the best mind trip I have had in a long while. For the next two weeks I would go out to the garage and just stare and get mesmerized by it. I couldn't believe I actually owned one. Even 2 years later, looking in the garage, I still feel giddy. I never actually thought the day would come when I would own the car of my dreams.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your Viper! I'm guessing you bought a Red one?

I've owned mine since Feb and I've been customizing it ever since. I've only put 9 miles on it since then LOL

My friends think I'm crazy, but once it's finished it will be well worth it. It still hasn't set in that I own my dream car yet, because only about 30 people know about it. This September is a local parade and if everything goes well, it will be my big surprise. I can't wait to see the jaws drop! I'll be taking my 10 year nephew and 7 year niece with me, and they don't even know I have the car! Best of luck with your mods!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Viper067, I just sent an email to JonB. Chiefchad and Jance GTS, yes its a strange feeling to have a real dream come true. I have wanted a viper since 89 when the concept car was introduced. I was only 9 years old and about 3-4 times a week since then I dreamt of the day I would own one. My 30th birthday rolled around in June and I decided to treat myself! This was a 21 year old dream and I’m not sure if the disbelief will ever wear off.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question should I go with metal or silicon for the smooth intake tubes? I’m worried that the metal will take in more heat than the silicon. It does seem everyone is selling the metal now and was wondering if they are just better. I also heard the silicon can collapse under hard acceleration, not sure if this is true. Any feedback would be great!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, agreed, call JonB he has K&N filters and also red smooth tubes. I have S&B filters and smooth tubes from Roe, but either route is good. There is a good thread on here about this subject, if you want to read it, educate yourself on the options and make your decision.

If you're not sure, I would just talk to JonB...can't go wrong!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question should I go with metal or silicon for the smooth intake tubes? I’m worried that the metal will take in more heat than the silicon. It does seem everyone is selling the metal now and was wondering if they are just better. I also heard the silicon can collapse under hard acceleration, not sure if this is true. Any feedback would be great!

Silicone is your best choice. Silicon is too brittle and will crack.