Red coupe around pole

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't understand how folks are wrecking this car so quickly. A car with 600HP need some serious restraint when you push the gas pedal. Ride a liter bike and you'll either get killed or learn restraint. Same with a high HP car. I don't care what kind of transmission/rear end combo you have...a 600HP car that weight 3400lbs is going to be a handful at full throttle...and that is in a straight line. I just can't understand how someone can buy this car and not understand what high HP cars do when you punch the gas. I always roll on the gas just like I roll on the gas on my bike. I have driven mine on wet pavement in a downpour (didn't want to but it happened) and it felt stable as a mountain goat.

Last edited:

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my toys. I am going to take a nicer
quality pic of my bike and my buddies chopper and the Viper soon.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just met a guy whose friend owned the red coupe that hit the pole. Owner was in his fifties so not a kid, owned a 2006 prior. He said the car came from the midwest on delivery...Woodhouse ?
Was downshifting to 2nd from 40 mph, rear swung out and hit the pole.
If there was a passenger he would not have survived.
The guy is still in the hospital. Two broken legs, muliple rib fractures and needs extensive plastic surgery on his face.
Wish him well....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still cannot understand why I get bashed so for saying there are not enough drivers/buyers in the general public to drive this car safely. It needs TC. At this rate, the car will be uninsurable, you can bet the insurance companies are taking notes. Everyone wants to hype the potential of the car and not recognized the responsiblity that comes with it. And Im not talking about caution while driving. I mean to drive a racecar on the street you till need to be somewhat of a racecar driver. Or does logic have no place here? And no one wants a 600 hp supercar to have to baby it around town, may as well keep the shell for looks and put a V6 in it. If you're going to have a car, you should be able to handle it at the limit in a car where the limits of traction are so easily reached.

95% of the general public (including viper owners) cant correct a slide when it begins, they over correct only to make it worse, not only that, your reflexs while relaxing on the road are going to be slower than when you're on the track, combine that with the overall age of the avg viper owner and reactions are slower than 20 something years olds anyways. Most Viper owners are buying the car for a weekend cruiser anyways, so the race car mantra is useless for them, but safety is not. Did we not just see a very experienced Viper RACER unable to correct a slide? How much more do you think a average joe needs help when the time comes?

Drivers instruction including mandated wet and dry skid pad and skid control should be implemented at the LEAST. This is just getting rediculous. DENIAL is what I call it. A TC that can be disabled isnt going to take anything away from the car but Chucks ability to rag on other cars because they came stock and equiped with it, even though it can be turned off and not used. Doesnt make any sense at all.

On with the bashing and "get outta here troll" cries. (flame suit on)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still cannot understand why I get bashed so for saying there are not enough drivers/buyers in the general public to drive this car safely. It needs TC. At this rate, the car will be uninsurable, you can bet the insurance companies are taking notes. Everyone wants to hype the potential of the car and not recognized the responsiblity that comes with it. And Im not talking about caution while driving. I mean to drive a racecar on the street you till need to be somewhat of a racecar driver. Or does logic have no place here? And no one wants a 600 hp supercar to have to baby it around town, may as well keep the shell for looks and put a V6 in it. If you're going to have a car, you should be able to handle it at the limit in a car where the limits of traction are so easily reached.

95% of the general public (including viper owners) cant correct a slide when it begins, they over correct only to make it worse, not only that, your reflexs while relaxing on the road are going to be slower than when you're on the track, combine that with the overall age of the avg viper owner and reactions are slower than 20 something years olds anyways. Most Viper owners are buying the car for a weekend cruiser anyways, so the race car mantra is useless for them, but safety is not. Did we not just see a very experienced Viper RACER unable to correct a slide? How much more do you think a average joe needs help when the time comes?

Drivers instruction including mandated wet and dry skid pad and skid control should be implemented at the LEAST. This is just getting rediculous. DENIAL is what I call it. A TC that can be disabled isnt going to take anything away from the car but Chucks ability to rag on other cars because they came stock and equiped with it, even though it can be turned off and not used. Doesnt make any sense at all.

On with the bashing and "get outta here troll" cries. (flame suit on)

A warning Mr Streak....You are teetering on the brink of certifiable Trollness. You have made your point over and over and over regarding TC. We UNDERSTAND your position on TC on the Viper. You are not a Viper owner. If you were your opinion might actually hold some weight as you would have some seat time. As it stands your comments do nothing but incite argument, indeed your last comment would indicate that is just the result you are looking for, and by bringing up the same thing again and again you are close to falling under the rule that would call for your elimination here due to spamming the same topic over and over. So put your soapbox away for a bit on this topic if you want to keep hanging around here.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are assuming I dont have seat time in a Viper based on what? Whatever that assumption is, it's false, I have enough to know what the car can do. And I actually have the skill to drive it, but that's taken lots of track time and that's something you wont get in a defensive driving class.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Lee. Unless you OWN a Viper, or professionaly race/test the car, I don't think you should be weighing in on it's performance by regurtitating something you READ or that a vette owner TOLD you.

I can't tell you how many people (vette owners included) tell me they have a whole new respect for the Viper after ACTUALLY riding in one.

BTW - "driving" one on an xbox or ps doesn't count.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just met a guy whose friend owned the red coupe that hit the pole. Owner was in his fifties so not a kid, owned a 2006 prior. He said the car came from the midwest on delivery...Woodhouse ?
Was downshifting to 2nd from 40 mph, rear swung out and hit the pole.
If there was a passenger he would not have survived.
The guy is still in the hospital. Two broken legs, muliple rib fractures and needs extensive plastic surgery on his face.
Wish him well....

I am sorry but I do not believe the story. There is no way a downshift to second from 40 MPH would cause what occurred. We are not getting the whole story. I believe that all Viper crashes are from Vipers that are not properly maintained and/or driver error. Too many people think that what we know is a streetable race car is a toy. They know nothing about the car or how to drive it. They wreck it and then look for some lame excuse instead of stepping up to the plate and accepting responsibility for their own actions. No one forced anyone to buy a Viper. It annoys the hell out of me when I see posts that seem to indicate that a Viper victim mindset is starting to develop. Nonsense. There have always been people with too much money and not enough impulse control. It has nothing to do with the Viper or nannytech. With that said, I wish the driver a speedy and successful recovery.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As if the accident victim is actually going to admit he was speeding when it happened.
OF COURSE it's the cars fault!
Downshift at 40 threw the car out...bull****.

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dumping the clutch on a horribly-matched downshift could do that, I think? Skip Barber calls that "Trailing-clutch oversteer."

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven an 08 yet but wonder about this: could there be a delayed reaction to throttle input since the 08's have throttle by wire as opposed to direct mechanical linkage/cable on all previous Vipers.

If this were the case, it could potentially lead to mismatched revs on downshifts until one is used to the different "feel" of the throttle.

Just a thought...maybe 08 owners who also owned previous edition Vipers could comment on this subject.

Phil

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven an 08 yet but wonder about this: could there be a delayed reaction to throttle input since the 08's have throttle by wire as opposed to direct mechanical linkage/cable on all previous Vipers.

If this were the case, it could potentially lead to mismatched revs on downshifts until one is used to the different "feel" of the throttle.

Just a thought...maybe 08 owners who also owned previous edition Vipers could comment on this subject.

Phil

Phil. I agree that the delay could cause an issue like you describe but even assuming the phenomenon occured here, there is no way a downshift to second at 40 MPH caused such a radical traction loss. Also, it seems to me that the delay could not occur at all unless he blipped the throttle on the downshift. Perhaps the driver will read our posts and clarify what happened for the benefit of all. I have driven Gen II stock and supercharged, Gen III stock and supercharged and the '08 at speed. The '08 was a bit different but easy to learn. Of course compared to my Woodhouse Performance Edition SRTC, it was slow. LOL.

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no expert like you all seem to be.
The conditions were down hill at 8:30 am on a dew covered road, that was in the shade.
The guy whether he was right or wrong made a mistake and is in the hospital. The thread was for information only and it is unbelievable how you all have your expert opinions.
You were not thee to see it as I was.
Whether it was 40 or 50 is irrelevant.
You all miss the point, instead of saying this story is full of crap, wish him a speedy recovery....

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The conditions were down hill at 8:30 am on a dew covered road, that was in the shade.
The guy whether he was right or wrong made a mistake and is in the hospital. The thread was for information only and it is unbelievable how you all have your expert opinions.
You all miss the point, instead of saying this story is full of crap, wish him a speedy recovery....

We all wish the driver no ill-will, and want him to have a speedy recovery, however, I think you miss the point. These threads and the opinions that go along with them are important if we are to learn anything from these accidents. I ,for one, even though I'm just reading and not contributing, am learning a great deal.

~Craig

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think anyone here wants any ill-will toward a Viper owner hurt in an accident, whether its their fault or not. I do wish him well. But given this is a forum of opinion, you will get opinions whether you agree with them or not. Some of us, including myself, have a difficult time believing the rear spun out down shifting to 2nd while doing 40mph. Even going downhill on wet road my GenII won't do that and I have to believe that the GenIV is a much better handling Viper. Perhaps there's another variable missing from the story. Regardless, we're trying to learn here and hope the driver gets out of the hospital soon.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Of course we wish him a speedy recovery but the VCA is not a victim group. More than many groups today, I think that a majority of our members have a strong sense of personal responsibility for their acts. Unless something is learned from this accident, whatever pain and suffering he has experienced and will experience is all for nothing. He would be doing us all a service if he would provide a detailed explanation of exactly what happened. Just imagine what would happen if everytime a plane crashed someone said: "The pilots in the hospital. Leave him alone and wish him well."

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
found a better pic on a srt jeep board

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow what are the chances that a green 08 runs into a crashed red 08? That crash looks bad. thank god somone wasnt riding with him..

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was in the hospital for at least 4 weeks.....two broken legs, rib fractures and orther stuff. Do not know if he is out.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lee, just had to jump in here......having been a Viper owner since 1999, first with a Gen 1 and now with a Gen 3....& only because a non-experienced Viper driver totaled my Gen 1 in 2007. He had a missed shift (from 2nd back into 1st at the top speed of 2nd gear) and let the clutch out after going back into 1st and the rear end came around. He went 261 ft. into the desert and hit a mesquite tree.....estimated speed after leaving the frontage road, 75mph. My car was totaled, but there was less damage than the 08 in this case. What I'm trying to get at is it makes no difference how old the driver is, it's what they did to cause the rear end to come around. My Gen 1 was 710 flywheel hp, and my Gen 3, is 700 at the rear wheels......I have experience in driving these cars, and 99% of the time it's driver ERROR....sorry, but that's the case. Let's look at this as a "problem" with the rear differential of the 08 as the reason to take the balme for all these accidents.....I think NOT! There are MANY high horse power Vipers out there with the stock factory rear diff. and NO problems what-so-ever.......one doesn't need a Quaffe diff. for safety, nor does one NEED traction control for safety.....one needs RIGHT FOOT RESTRIANT more than anything with little or no experience with these cars. Just has been said.....let's just blame the car for the problems with these accidents.....that's the no responsibility game that's now played in America.....I'm tired of it! I use restraint with my car, and I KNOW it's capabilites.....and I have EXTREME respect for the car and it's high hp and torque, and will continue to do so. Do I have fun with the car....OH YES....DO I HAVE FUN.....but having fun and being careful have to go hand in hand. I have been taught in the past that 99% of excuses are lies!!! Think about it! I wish this gentleman the best in his recovery.....but I also have a great deal of skepticism that this accident occured at 40 mph......IMHO. This looks to me as driver error, just as I previsouly stated.....MOST of the time this is the case, especially now with the 600hp cars out of the factory with little or no experience in driving them. Thanks for reading my rant!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is almost broken in half. The telephone pole is splintered. 40 MPH? I hope one of the engineer VCA members who sees this jumps in and comments. I'd like to know the kind of force it took to shatter the telephone poll. From the amount of cabin *********** seen, the driver is very lucky that he survived. I wish him well and I hope that he appreciates how lucky he was that he did not kill anyone - including himself.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is almost broken in half. The telephone pole is splintered. 40 MPH? I hope one of the engineer VCA members who sees this jumps in and comments. I'd like to know the kind of force it took to shatter the telephone poll. From the amount of cabin *********** seen, the driver is very lucky that he survived. I wish him well and I hope that he appreciates how lucky he was that he did not kill anyone - including himself.

I can imagine a direct side impact at 40 mph doing that. The car is supposed to give. Or crumple. I think the crash dummy tests are only done at 20 or 30 mph for direct side impact, so 40 is above what they even test. Someone correct that if I'm wrong.

Also, the car does not appear to have other damage, meaning the first and only impact was the direct side impact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant