Remote CD Changer?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone install a remote CD Changer with an RB1 or RB4? If so which changer? 6 disk or 10 disk? where? in the trunk? is there an SRT Viper wiring kit?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know the answer to this but my Mercury Marauder had an Alpine 6 CD changer in the trunk. One would think a good sound system shop could rig it up.
Robbie

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone install a remote CD Changer with an RB1 or RB4? If so which changer? 6 disk or 10 disk?

either will work. the 10-disc from a '02-'04 Grand Cherokee will work.

where? in the trunk?

wherever you can fit it :p

my Mercury Marauder had an Alpine 6 CD changer in the trunk. One would think a good sound system shop could rig it up.

not a chance. Ford and Chrysler used different buses. Chrysler's J1850 isn't compatible with the ACP bus Ford used in the Marauder.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did say,"one would think", I never said it would work. thanks for straightening me out on this one. What I was saying was that the ford system used a alpine changer that is mounted in the trunk.
Robbie

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks ... was hoping someone could tell from experience where the best location was ...

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did say,"one would think", I never said it would work.

And I added more information. Don't get all pissy.

What I was saying was that the ford system used a alpine changer that is mounted in the trunk.

Alpine makes a lot of components for a lot of OEMs. Practically none of them are interchangeable.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermann,

While I did not install a cd changer with my RB1 I did install a Dodge/Chrysler Sirius unit. The reason I chose to go that way was the dealer had a unit for another Chrysler product in stock and let me buy it with the caveat that if it did not work I could return it. It came with the correct wiring and plug for the RB1 interface and I just adapted it for the Viper.

IMHO I would see what cd changer a dealer has in stock, open it up and determine if it's what you want. If it is, you can always pack it back up and search the internet for the same p/n if you want to competitively shop.

Also IHMO, I believe unless you are willing to give up some cabin area, the trunk mount may be the only option. Just make sure the cable that fits in the back of the RB1 is long enough to make it there. The kit I used was from a PT because this was the only in stock item the dealer had and the price was very good. Suffice to say the cable length was if anything too long! I ended up giving up the rear center console section for the Sirius box. I really had plenty of cable!!!LOL

I hope this helps in your decision.
Larry

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry about getting prissy. I assumed wrong that alpine would make one changer and have adapters to fit different manufactures systems.