Repainting my '92 RT/10 dash

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone repainted their RT/10 grey dash? I know the fuzzy paint is "impossible" to get, but would like advice on how to do it and what paint works best to achieve a very close to stock look.

Cheers,
James

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wetsanded and primered mine and handed it off to a buddy with a booth to spray with a low-sheen black plastic paint. There are probably a few threads on it around here somewhere.

You must be registered for see images

Other pics of the interior all black:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after taking the dash off, spray oven cleaner on it and let it soak in. The grey fuzz will come right off. rinse off and do it again to make sure it is all off. it will be back to factory grey plastic with no need to sand. Krylon makes a paint for plastic.works great! to get a perfect finish make sure you dont rush the paint job and do many thin coats with ample time to dry between coats. Mask off the black parts around the openings. leave them the factory finish so that you dont get a relection problems later. Give plenty of time for paint to cure so that you dont damage paint while re-installing the dash.
good luck.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wetsanded and primered mine and handed it off to a buddy with a booth to spray with a low-sheen black plastic paint. There are probably a few threads on it around here somewhere.

Other pics of the interior all black:

man that looks familiar...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly what I did. Yes, OVEN CLEANER takes the old grey right off. Then paint in even light coats and let dry (several days if possible) before you put it on. Be very careful when you put it on (get help to hold the other side) because there are so many places that it will rub something on the car and scratch, especially around the steering wheel and near the bottom of the radio. Be careful and patient when putting it back on. That is the key. Good luck. :)

after taking the dash off, spray oven cleaner on it and let it soak in. The grey fuzz will come right off. rinse off and do it again to make sure it is all off. it will be back to factory grey plastic with no need to sand. Krylon makes a paint for plastic.works great! to get a perfect finish make sure you dont rush the paint job and do many thin coats with ample time to dry between coats. Mask off the black parts around the openings. leave them the factory finish so that you dont get a relection problems later. Give plenty of time for paint to cure so that you dont damage paint while re-installing the dash.
good luck.

[/IMG]

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pic of a black/grey interior 2snakes... It's a great look! I'm doing my dash now as well and was wondering about the black/grey interior...

I started mine by testing my technique using a trashed bezel I bought for $150 from X2 (big ripoff!!) First I tried to find an almost matching grey but had no luck, so I'm using a flat black plastic paint I picked up at walmart that requires no primer. The bezel came out really nice and looks flawless so it's time to pull the dashboard and door trim! I hope it'll feel like a new car next time I put it on the road.

=J

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again I will say...take your time. dont rush it and a pointer. on your final coat of paint, use a brand new fresh warm can. so you have good pressure and a even spray, do a very light mist.

OP
OP
V

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the guidance and great advice. The gracious assistance lent by Viper Owners has always been fantastic, a real hallmark for the club and a key reason why I've been a VCA member since 1995. Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers,
James Taylor

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#53 Lot of guys have done great paint work as you see here and in other posts.

But, if I had a 92 I'd try to find a new dash, there are new gray ones still availble

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#53 Lot of guys have done great paint work as you see here and in other posts.

But, if I had a 92 I'd try to find a new dash, there are new gray ones still availble

I would try to find a new one, but keep it in a safe place without putting it on because it would defeat the purpose of getting one. Why? Because within little time it would look like crap no matter how careful a person is and that would defeat the preservation of a 1992. Good luck finding one. ;)