replacing ac condenser?

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My air conditioning started to give out and I have found I need to replace the condenser. Has anyone replaced this and if so, do you have any tips or things to watch for? Looking at it with my tech it seems like it might be able to lift out pretty easily but I thought I'd ask before we get started on it.

Thanks

04BlackSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you should have to do is remove the accessories belt and then unbolt the old one and put in the new one. I changed my alternator a few weeks ago and it was very easy. This should be about the same effort, though you'll need to access it from under the car as far as I can tell.

KEITHSAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you confirmed the leak is in the condenser. o-rings are notorious for leaking. I had to change the o-rings at the compressor suction and discharge.

OP
OP
John D

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you confirmed the leak is in the condenser. o-rings are notorious for leaking. I had to change the o-rings at the compressor suction and discharge.
We put some dye in the system and it showed at the side of the condenser where the cooling fins meet the edge.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John, did you ever get resolution on your issue? I have an 01 that has lost all of its charge as well. I refilled it last year after replacing the Schrader valve and oring in the valve cap, but the charge leaked out again, so I am thinking I need a new condenser.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John, did you ever get resolution on your issue? I have an 01 that has lost all of its charge as well. I refilled it last year after replacing the Schrader valve and oring in the valve cap, but the charge leaked out again, so I am thinking I need a new condenser.

There are several threads about replacing all the O-tings in the Gen 1/2 system. Simple, cheap and easy fix before trying to go to the next step

OP
OP
John D

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did resolve the issue. We replaced the condenser and the O rings at the fittings on the condenser. We had run a dye through the ac system that showed the condenser was leaking so I was pretty sure that was the cause.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did resolve the issue. We replaced the condenser and the O rings at the fittings on the condenser. We had run a dye through the ac system that showed the condenser was leaking so I was pretty sure that was the cause.
Thank you.