Replacing mufflers with glass packs....

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a recent thread, someone noted that they put glass packs on their srt-10. Can someone post a step by step process on how to accomplish this. Include all of the parts, part numbers and sizes too. Thanks.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced mine with "Cherry Bomb" glass packs. Parts needed are as follows:

- 2 "cherry bomb" glass packs with 2.5" diameter. Pep Boys I went to only had one length (29") with this diameter at $15 a piece.

- 2 straight pipes with 2.5" diameter. These do NOT have to be flared. The length should be approximately 4.5" to 5.5". (Exact length should be measured against stock muffler with a straight pipe inserted into the outflow end of the cherry bomb.) I bought a long piece and cut them to exact size.

- 4 muffler clamps.

For installation instructions, see the thread below, titled "Easy Change! and it sounds GREAT."

Three additional recommendations to make the job easier:

(1) When removing the side sill, do NOT take the two nuts above the wheel well completely. Just loosen them to the point where you can take the side sill off. (These nuts are a pain in the A$$ to put back on.)

(2) Take off the rubber block that holds the tailpipe in place (otherwise known as "rear exhaust mount"?). This will give you some room to tap the stock muffler out. If you need more room, also take off the rubber block by the catalytic converter. When removing these rubber blocks, be sure to note where the insulation needs to go back.

(3) Determine the flow of the cherry bombs by looking inside and install them in right flow direction. If you install them in wrong direction, you'll effectively get a straight pipe configuration.

Afterwards, drive your snake on the open road with the top down for about 30-40 minutes to burn off the red paint on the cherry bombs. (You may want to do this before you put the side sills back on, just so you'll know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that it's the paint that's burning, not other parts of your snake.)

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mach,
How do the Cherry Bombs sound different than a straight pipe? Is it louder or is it a different sound?

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,

I think the cherry bombs muffle the sound slightly and produce more throatier sound than straight pipes. You'll not get as much noise in the higher frequencies (metal clanking sound) and also less backfiring. I opted for cherry bombs over straight pipes just because of this reason. However, these replacements for me were intended only as a temporary measure. Over the winter months, I plan on doing a complete header/catback/exhaust upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang