Resale Value After Modifications

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how resale is affected with a newer Viper with modifications? If 20K or 30K worth of modifications goes into a newer car what is the outcome at resale? Does it go up, down or no change in price. Any thoughts will be great.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, that is an excellent question and there are past threads related to it.
If you add 25K in good mods, how much could you expect to recover in a sale?
For me, I would be cautious in buying a car, say, w/nitrous because I would fear that it has had the crap beat out of it. On the other hand, there are guys out there looking for nitrous cars. So, it depends on the buyer.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a TT would hold it's value very well. A custom Heffner SC, DLM SC seem to hold up pretty good too! :2tu: :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that it would go up in most cases. As Graphite pointed out, there are even buyers that look for nitrous, although they are few and far between. That is one mod that I suspect wouldn't enhance the value as much.

As far as the rest, whether it be simple K&N filters all the way up to twin turbos, expect a diminished return on your investment. I believe that the common rule of thumb for most cars is that you will get about 25% of your retail price for mods when it comes time to sell. With Vipers that is a little different and can vary quite a bit. Many folks will pay 95% of retail on a K&N setup on a used Viper because they know they will be adding one anyway.

For engine mods, buyers are usually wary of those names they don't recognize or those that were installed by someone unknown. That is one of the reasons that nitrous can put some people off: The "kaboom" factor is much higher with a poor install. A supercharged car built by a well respected tuner (DLM & Heffner come to mind) will do well because you know who did the install, but it is still rare to completely cover the actual cost of the mods. While the Roe system is a "self install" (usually done by mechanics), it is priced well enough to begin with that you can expect to stay fairly whole on it.

Good luck with your mods and let us know what you are thinking beyond just K&N's!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my thought on the subject. If the mods are choice mods, and have not been on the car for several years, yes they will help the cars value. How much will depend on what they are, and the perspective buyer.

The above statement about Nos, is somewhat true. Espesially these guys running a max shot.

The best mods you can put on the car to help resale are wheels, suspension, exhaust, and most of all the supercharger, twin turbo also, put plan on taking a huge loss with the twin tubo, as its cost is outragous to start with, but as I said it depends on how long these have been on the car, and will you as the owner of this car be able to convey to them, your driving habits, and care for the car. Believe it or not, many Viper owners do performance mods on there car, and do not beat on the car to much. They like the added power, but are very conservative with it. They never do clutch dumps, and non stop bumping on the rev limiter.

I've allways had good luck in selling my cars with mods on them, and I do loose some money, but not to much, as I don't keep the car very long.

A NOs car to me is the worst car to buy, not so much because of the NOs, but these cars are oftem owned by the most agressive drivers, but as I said that's not allways the case.

Skip White

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the most part, it's been this way forever on most any car, if it isn't a stock part, then you won't get anymore for it so you might as well take it off. In some cases it might make it harder to sell. Collectors want a fully stock car, and race parts give the perception that it's been raced.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tom says, does make sense. Items like HRE wheels, lowered suspension, or any appearance mods, are your best for resale. These items are very desirable for new owners, that are in the know of what's hot.

Allways keep your old parts, this is very important for collectors, or they may even let you keep your $5500.00 HRE wheels.

We should allways keep in mind resale value on the car, unless you don't mind the hit.

I never get rid of oem parts. This is a bad mistake, as I see many parts on ebay. Some people will not buy the car, without original parts to go with it.

If you buy or sell the car cheap enough, no worry.

Skip White