Resetting Alarm-VSTSS is missing???

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've some across a new peculiar problem with my new 01 RT/10. Tripped the alarm in the RT but my Key FOB doesn't work so I can't disarm it...so I followed the Service Manual instructions to activate the VSTSS disarm in the glovebox but it is nowhere to be found, just a cylindrical hole where it should be. I removed the back trim and it's not in there. So now I'm wondering how can I disarm the alarm, can I simply disconnect the battery cables? Maybe pull the PCM? THanks...

-Dave 01 RT/10 :usa:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the battery cable at the battery. Don't pull the PCM, there is a separate module that controls the alarm.

OP
OP

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the battery cable at the battery. Don't pull the PCM, there is a separate module that controls the alarm.

I tried disconnecting the battery after puliing off the wheel/cover. Left it off for 30 minutes reconnected and the alarm is still active. It will turn over then immediately then die within 1-2 seconds. Any other ideas?

Regards,

Dave S :usa:
01 RT/10

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try this:
Leave the battery connected and disconnect your Entry Module and re-connect. This will reset the module.

The entry module is next to the gas pedal under the dash. Held on by a rubber strap. It is made by DEI.

I am a little concerned that the key overide is missing. Maybe some type of aftermarket alarm or pager installed?

OP
OP

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try this:
Leave the battery connected and disconnect your Entry Module and re-connect. This will reset the module.

The entry module is next to the gas pedal under the dash. Held on by a rubber strap. It is made by DEI.

I am a little concerned that the key overide is missing. Maybe some type of aftermarket alarm or pager installed?

Thanks Jerry, I will try the entry module next.

I am a concerned about the VTSS missing as well. There is an aftermarket stereo system wiring behind the rear trim panel and one wire which looks like the lead to the VTSS cylinder but that piece is missing. I never thought to look in the glovebox when I was checking out the car a few weeks ago. Hopefully just a minor inconvienance until I get can a new one installed.

PS-I have digital pics but nowhere to host them at the moment so you can see what I'm talking about....

Regards,

Dave S
01 RT/10 :usa:

OP
OP

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I removed the EML module(the one with the rubber strap) and plugged it back in. I could hear it "clicking" as I reconnected the wires but this did not disable the alarm.

I guess my only other option is to see if I can get a replacement VTSS cylinder or have it towed to the dealer...ugh

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dave email sent but you cannot overide this feature otherwise the car could easily be stolen. The memory is always retained in the pcm until it receives an ok signal from the vtss module. I deal with this all the time at work. Anyway, check your email as I'm sending it to you first thing Monday.