Reusing the v-clamps from the cats to headers

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys but can't find anything. Can I reuse these V-Band clamps off my original cats for my new cats? I searched here and can't find anything.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are magnaflow high-flow cats same stats as the roe performance cats with custom 3 inch piping. I haven't decided if I want to put the cats on or just leave them straight.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Random Techs form Jon B and had the same question. Although, the shop manual states you have to replace them, Jon said I could re-use them, which I did and had no problems at all. Once again proving-Jon knows his stuff. Geting mine off was a pita though!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have always replaced cause im too lazy to take the sills off again if they leaked but i know a few that reused them with no problems

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the good high flows from Jon B. V bands on the ends and straight pipe with v bands. Easy in and out. Currently cat section out. GTS Bruce

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys but can't find anything. Can I reuse these V-Band clamps off my original cats for my new cats? I searched here and can't find anything.

I actually did a month-long engineering study on V-band clamps and determined that you can re-use them 1 time without losing much performance. After about 3 times the clamp is mostly worthless.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is the failure area - locknut, or toggle bolt?

If you'd believe it, the outer band and the V groove both yield each time you torque the nut. Eventually you either yield the V enough where you don't get any clamp load or you yield the band enough where you tighten the bolt all the way and bottom out the clamp without applying any pressure. Given enough vibration and time, the first thing that will actually break on you is the V portion of the clamp.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you'd believe it, the outer band and the V groove both yield each time you torque the nut. Eventually you either yield the V enough where you don't get any clamp load or you yield the band enough where you tighten the bolt all the way and bottom out the clamp without applying any pressure. Given enough vibration and time, the first thing that will actually break on you is the V portion of the clamp.

Thanks to everyone I will be very careful when I remove them. you guys are the best. Going to signup for my vca membership this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_