ride height..should I cut springs or buy springs?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is there really that big of a difference if I cut coils from the stock springs or buying like eibach springs? I really don't want a bouncey ride where the car is nodding up and down when it hits uneven pavement. I was told there wasn't that big if a difference if I were to cut than not to cut. Any pics of lowered GTS's out there with before and afterpics?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting springs is never a good idea... unless you drive an import or gold-spoked chameleon painted bass-station. It will screw up your whole suspension geometry..

Spend the cash on some good springs, a great improvement to any ride.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy Eibach's $300+-. from John B at parts rack,should be $150-200.install.lowers car 1" perfectly,better feel.I tried cutting springs,you destroy string rate.No more 4x4.
bounce.gif

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah, I heard someone cutting springs..before...but was not sure of the outcome. I've had Eibach's before and like the quality ride it had. It was on my 300zx twin turbo. any pics of before and after shots?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with the other responses, cutting the springs is a hacker's method of lowering the car. You lose the preload and increase the spring rate. It will ride like a buggy. Do it correctly with a spring and shock kit that is designed for the car.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the springs will make them stiffer, and there is probably a formula (any engineers out there?) you can use to determine how much stiffer, depending on how much you shorten them. Aftermarket springs are (theoretically) designed to provide a proportional increase in spring rates front and rear.

I do not know the spring rates for stock, variable rate Eibach, factory ACR springs, or other aftermarket coil overs. I would probably look for a single rate aftermarket coil over system with adjustable shocks. You can then lower the car as as much as you want and set the corner weights. My experience has been that more then an inch or so lower on a street car reduces the ride/handling compromise to a point where it is unsatisfactory.

Also, you will probably need stiffer shocks if you go with stiffer springs. The factory shocks may not be stiff enough to control the increased rates of aftermarket springs.

Jim

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went w/ the Eibach springs, and stayed w/ the stock shocks. The ride and handling are great, but an inch is a LOT lower when it comes to speedbumps, etc. Installation of the springs is not difficult or expensive, but alignment (properly done, and necessary after changing ride height) is not cheap! Most good shops will charge 4 hours or so for an alignment. I have some "after" pictures of my 94, but no before pictures. Let me know if you are interested. I think it looks great, but I might be a bit biased
smile.gif