Rippie Brake Bias spring

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know what this is or how it works? Thanks.

Rippie spring

From the website:

On the C5, the DRM Bias Spring easily installs in the junction block, and on the C4, it installs in the front of the master cylinder.

Good things often come in small packages. A lot of thought and successful racing experience went into the design of the DRM BrakeBias spring. Easily installed, this spring effectively puts more rear brake into your Corvette, giving you shorter stopping distances and more equalized front-to-rear brake pad wear. Also by having the rear pads do more work, front end nose-dive is reduced. This results in greater stability and vehicle control under extreme braking.

1987-96 Corvette ABS 10-100 $13
1984-86 Corvette non-ABS 10-101 $13
1997-01 Corvette 10-102 $13

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno, but claiming less dive due to more rear brake "work" is bogus. Dive is dictated 100% by location of CG, deceleration g's and suspension geometry. If anything, dive should INCREASE if your bias improves overall brake performance (i.e. more braking g's).

Not knowing how the junction block works, it is hard to say. In general, the more gs you pull the less rear bias you want, because the more weight transfer you have to the front tires (purely a funciton of CG lcation and gs pulled). For a gentle stop, plenty of rear bias makes sense. For a hard stop with slicks, you might need less than 20% rear brake bias. The spring may control a relief valve that increases front brake bias under hard braking, and the pressure point may be different with a Rippie spring.

I have a C4 and the brakes were always better than my pre-ABS Vipers, but the C4 has ABS and, I suspect, plenty of built-in rear bias.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw something that sounds like what you are descibing on a 97 R/T (bit funky), but the part no. on the piece which was inline between the master cyl, and brakes was AK-260-2220. Don't know if it was the same exact part, but probably same idea. I would love to equalize the brakes on mine for better braking.

Mike

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love a simple way to apply more rear brake - the flat spots keep coming back when I brake hard. I have 14.1 brembo kit in front and that made the problem worse. Has anyone tried a simple brake bias adjustable regulator with sucess? I also remember there was a FAQ that had you open the distribution block and remove some washer or something. Did that work?

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were many discussions involving the best Viper gurus on the advantages of removing the o-ring in the proportional valve, at least if you are using stock brakes.

Then somehow it was not so clear that it was so good. There were suggestions about removing the spring but not the o-ring, then someone suggested that it may be dangerous in rainy conditions and then the discussions died.

I guess most of the gurus are passed playing with stock brakes and that the new upgrades deal with brake bias differently.

JonB, Dan C, Bill P, any new data on the o-ring?

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason - Sean Roe has the solution.
He offers a complete 4 wheel brake kit, includes a new master cylinder, leaves the o=ring alone so that is not an issue, and he provides a proportioning valve.
I have about 15,000 + miles on the setup on my 96 GTS, including three years of open track events and have not experienced any equipment failure - do have to mention that I do wear out rotors.

I can crank enough brake into the rear, using the proportioning valve that I can get rear lockup before front lockup - back the valve off a bit and I'm set for a fun weekend.

Rotors - I'm currently using Frozen stock rotors but have a set of 2pc Performance Friction 14" units sitting on the bench.

If you are going to run this setup you have to get more cooling to the fronts than the deflectors provide. I'm about to try Chucks solution and this weekend I'm installing deflectors on the rear.

TIP - if you go with his setup, install a new set of pads in the stock rear calipers. I did not do this and the pads were quite worn down - I think this has contributed to the creation of heat in the rear brake system. Thick pad material dissapates the heat much better.
luck