Road Racing & Kumhos

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done some serious tracking with Kumhos? Can Kumhos be used as a 1/2 point between the Pilots and Hoosiers? My 97 GTS sees a good amount of track time, but I'm not ready for Hoosiers just yet. I would like to use the Kumhos for all my regular track days and then throw the Pilots on for Viper Days. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks-Jonathan

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have run both the Kumhos and the Toyos quite a bit ( 3 different cars ), and if you stay with a 17 inch rim, the Kumhos will be fine. They are definitely faster than the Pilots, but they are a DOT Road Race/Autocross tire. If you are going to 18's , then I would highly suggest the Toyos, as they do not have a tendency to get as greasy as the Kumhos near the end of a session, and they have a longer life cycle.

Vilven Tire
1-800-251-0017

They carry both, and supply tires to the World Challenge Series. Their tires come shaved, so they are perfect for the track.

Give me a call if I can be of any other assistance.

Bill Pemberton
1-800-889-1893

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are using the tires for track only make sure you shave them. They will be faster & last much longer. This is both the Khumo & the Toyos.

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again Bill your there to help me out! I want to stay with the 17" rims as I like the looks better. I think I'll try out the Kumhos for regular track days and save the pilots for Viper Days.

Jonathan

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Shaving will reduce some tread squirm, as well as taking off that thin oily top layer. The Toyo R-1's are the Spec Tires for all of the World Challenge cars. They are conveniently making 275/18s and 335/18s , so this works well for our cars - this is a very consistent tire. What I also like , is unlike the Kumho and Hoosier, when the tread is gone ( which usually means the tire is toast ) there is still around 2/32nds left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine