Roasted Vette

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And this is what happens when a vette tries to stay infront of a Viper.:lmao: From what I was told the entire engine blew, bits and parts everywhere, then the oil hit the exhaust and :firedev::panic: I hope someone brought marshmellows. And just to rub it in, another ZR1 did the same thing, the same weekend at Springmountain.

Roasted_Corvette_Place_Mat.jpg

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really a Vette fan, but I hate to see that happen to anyone's car. Hope insurance covers it for 'em.

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you for certain that it is a real photo and only the writing was photoshopped. trust me I can't do crap with computers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the occasion when I have a passenger they are always alarmed when they see the fire extinguisher on the floorboard. Maybe I should print that pic and carry it with me.

Even if the car wasn't made of plastic the paint on a metal car still burns.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trouble will be finding a replacement Vette. The rarity of them will be his downfall :D

With that said, yes it does **** that he has a dead car. The fire damage doesn't look _that_ bad, but the blown engine is whats gonna hurt his pocketbook. I highly doubt insurance covers it. They'll claim the blown engine started the fire (which it did from what J&R said) and noway will anyone cover a blown engine or resulting damage on a track.

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a competitive event and I corrected my first post, it was a ZR1 not a Z06! Thats an expensive ****** roaster.:lmao:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

We have the roasted Vette's also...picture taken at Hockenheimring, Jim Clark Revival (see the recent Viper magazine).

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And this is what happens when a vette tries to stay infront of a Viper.:lmao: From what I was told the entire engine blew, bits and parts everywhere, then the oil hit the exhaust and :firedev::panic: I hope someone brought marshmellows. And just to rub it in, another ZR1 did the same thing, the same weekend at Springmountain.

Roasted_Corvette_Place_Mat.jpg

why wont the dealer warranty this,they dont know it was on a track:dunno::dunno::dunno:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be nitt-picky but I think this is a Z06 , not a ZR1. With the ZR1 the rear spoiler runs the enitire width iof the rear of the car. This only seems to have the extended third light housing, therefore a Z06. But whatever, the car is TOAST!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm amazed the car is burnt that badly.

BTW: Robert, don't forget to print this for your president! ;>)

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be nitt-picky but I think this is a Z06 , not a ZR1. With the ZR1 the rear spoiler runs the enitire width iof the rear of the car. This only seems to have the extended third light housing, therefore a Z06. But whatever, the car is TOAST!

I wouldn't know about the differances but I was told that the car at spring mountain (not the one in the pic) was a ZR1.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you saw the side the sidescoop would be double instead of a larger single scoop (Z06). Also, GM said that the hood window was for better heat distribution. Burn, not burn?

Maybe it's an ordinary vette? I can't tell them apart. Any idea what year it is?

Ted

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad part is that this is'nt that uncommon with Vipers either. I feel for the owner.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've definitely never seen anything like that at the track in my lifetime. I don't think it's a common Viper thing.

Cousin had his GM pickup start a fire behind the dash and burn up in his driveway though.

Ted

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've definitely never seen anything like that at the track in my lifetime. I don't think it's a common Viper thing.

Cousin had his GM pickup start a fire behind the dash and burn up in his driveway though.

Ted

Saw this happen to an SRT-10 Convertible at Road Atlanta. It didn't burn quite this badly, but it was messed up pretty bad.

And the car in that picture is definitely not a ZR1. As someone else mentioned, the lip on the rear extends across the entire rear fascia on the ZR1. That looks like a Z06 to me.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is not a photo shop. This is a Z06. It happened at a Speed Ventures event held on Nov 22 and 23 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. We were running the "Roval", i.e. a combination of the NASCAR oval and a tighter infield track.

I chased this guy in my wife's mostly stock 2006 VOI 9 SRTC for about 5 laps. My track car was in the shop. He was a bit faster in the straights (I had a passenger) and wouldn't let me pass - though I caught him every lap through the turns (which were "point by" passing only) and continued to press him. His engine failed, threw pistons, rods and parts of the oil pan and block all over the track in front of me. I avoided most of the mess. The fire was an oil fire that exploded very large at the rear of the car, then went out fairly quickly. Though he wasn't hurt, his engine and lots of the rear of the car were "toast".

Unfortunately, I had my wife in the car with me at the time. She won't usually ride with me any more.....doesn't like the speed and the G's. Her comment was something like, "Does this happen often?" I told her, no, this was the first time that I'd chased someone until they exploded. Usually, they just go off the track .....

I felt very sorry for this guy and went over to see if he was OK after the car came in on the tow truck. He wasn't a very friendly guy and seemed to know that he was pressing his car harder than he should have just to stop me from passing him. I can't really blame him for being upset though - I'd have been pretty bummed if it were my car.

Z06's have a known oiling issue when spun to red line again and again on a road course.

He should have let me pass.....

Dan :drive:

PS Someone commented above on seeing a Viper explode like this. I never have that happen in 30 plus track events in the last 2.5 years. I have seen a few engines fail in 03 - 06 Vipers but they were all without the CC oil pan and pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960