ROE BLOWER! Ok for track courses?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just added a 5lbs roe blower to my 1998 rt/10. I love it on the street, but I have a few questions for the roe guys regarding road course racing:

Is it still practical to attend track days with the blower or will it over heat/ over stress the engine? How about if I upgrade to the 8lbs?

Anyone have any first hand experience road racing a roe blower on a hot day with 5 or 8 lbs?

I am eager to get to some track days, but I don’t want to mess up a car that runs with no problems.

Thanks for the input!

Mike

PS How do I get started in NY? I looked on the viper days site, but I didn’t see much for NY area?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
your question is best suited to the man that makes the blower setup. sean roe will answer any question you could ever have on the track aspect reliability issue.

OP
OP
L

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand, but I am looking for some feedback from some end users.

Thanks
Mike

S

SUN RA KAT

I did Viper Days at Mid 0hio in 2003 with my Roe S/C and had no problems at all - left it in 4th gear and never shifted it out on the track - also never floored it, either. Ran great, plenty enough torque to accellerate out of slower turns without downshifting and half throttle brought up 6000 RPM redline only a third down the back straightaway (151 MPH). No overheating issues at all - ran cooler than driving in stop and go traffic on the street.

However, you will be put in a class where a roll bar and other safety equipment will be required, depending upon where you race and with whom you are racing with. Viper Days rules put me in the unlimited class and that's what they said I needed to come back to run (I got special permission to run with the promise that I do not hot dog my car around the track. I was there to learn my car's and my own limitations, and I found out my limitations were a whole lot less than my car's. I just concentrated on being consistant and by Sunday I was turning lap after lap all with a second of the fastest to the slowest. I was one of the slower drivers because I wasn't running ******* the straights, only through the corners. Running fast in a straight line doesn't require skill, but taking corners fast and consistant does. Viper Days would probably not give anyone else special permission like me, so check beforehand as to what safety equipment you'll need to run.)

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a roe sc for a year.

If you only do it a few times a year and keep RPMS under 4500 should be fine. you will notice once the engine and blower starts getting hotter after a few laps you will loose some hp due to hottter charge once SC gets hot.

For Example, We run all the FL tracks in very hot humid weather. one of my friends has the similar setup as me, with heads/cam/rockers, but he also has a roe blower with 8 or 10 lbs pulley. his 695rwhp, my car 569 rwhp. The first few laps, I cant even stay with him on the mile long straight away at Sebring, he pulls away as he should with almost 120 rwhp. But at some point 4/5/6 laps dont know exactly, but then I can stay even or even creep up on him alittle.

If you really want to road race more than a few times a year, you might of picked the wrong application.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar experience to my friend with the yellow Roe SC car.

Only difference was I went to the Viper Days at Mid-America a week or two later. If memory serves, May 03 in Council Bluffs Iowa was pretty toasty, 85 - 90 and humid.

Drove the car ~600 miles to / from the event and Saturday / Sunday on the track. As a driver, I was in the Green / Novice group and the car was categorized in the Unlimited class due to SC / brakes / other upgrades. Great experience and the car performed flawlessly. I was told I could do 2 or 3 events in this driver / car combo before I'd be required to add a roll cage (the only safety feature my car lacks for the unlimited category).

Like Kenny, I found I had much more time to hone driving skills. With all the torque you have on hand, you won't need to spend much time shifting to stay in the power band.

viperrmike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the road cours at VOI8 in Dallas. Put 75 miles on the track. I ran as hard as traffic would allow. Last run was probably 10 laps (instructor knew i was leaving after the run so let me stay out. It did heat up at the end to 235 deg. It cooled down right after I was done. It otherwise handled great. Got up to 155 on the front strait.
Love the low end torque coming out of curves. Very managable.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine ran fine with the 7lb pulley for five 30 minute sessions. I was running 101 Octane VP fuels performance unleaded and I was checking the plugs. Everything looked good and I was running it hard. The car did get up to 220 degrees with outside temps of around 92 degrees even with my upgraded Ron Davis Radiator.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can use the SC on track.
As the others said just check the temperature.
When you install a SC it is better to install also an oil temperature gauge and the a wide band AFR meter.
If you do a lot of idleling you will lose power 20-30 rwhp. An AFT meter (500$) will help you to tune your car if you have a laptop on site. For instance you can write a VEC2 program for 120F air temperature and one for 80F air temperature. VEC2 gives you a lot of flexibility.