ROE Blower pulley change?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 12lbs pulley on the Roe blower. This is what the previous owner used and I want to start with a 8lbs pulley.
Is there a tool available from ROE or what do you use to change the pulley. Looks like it's held there just with one bolt and friction fit? What's needed to do this?

3114DSCN4349-med.JPG

Thanks!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right. Very easy to remove. I used an air wrench to break the pulley bolt loose. Then remove the belt and install the new pulley.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use two grade 8, 1/4" bolts about 2.5" long, cut the threads off. Stick them in two of the small holes in the pulley, side by side and use a large screwdriver to hold them. The allen head bolt is a metric size, torque it back to 65 ft, lbs.

Do you have a stock lower pulley ? 12 psi upper pulleys are rare.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed my Roe set up last week. I might be wrong but I thought that the instructions said that if you were using a smaller pulley than 8# you need a different idler size or it was the belt size that needed to be changed either way one or the other needs to be changed. I will look the instructions over when I get home.

Pat.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first time I see a Roe supercharger installed on a gen1. Was it difficult to relocate the alternator? I suppose everything you need is provided in the kit, right?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed my Roe set up last week. I might be wrong but I thought that the instructions said that if you were using a smaller pulley than 8# you need a different idler size or it was the belt size that needed to be changed either way one or the other needs to be changed. I will look the instructions over when I get home.

Pat.

Good catch. That is very possible.
Although, for autocrossing I change to my 7psi pulley.....I "think" Roe now calls it a 6.5 pulley. Anyway, I can go from my 10psi without changing the idler or the belt.....It just depends on the combo of pulley/belt/idler. This will probably be a trial and error deal for him.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSPOWERED, you are right, there ia a large (original) idler and small (Roe) idler, depending on how much boost you are running, the setup is different. With 8lbs, one is large and one small. The beltclearance is absolute minimal inbetween the large ideler and waterpump.

JiPi, it was VERY simple, only real modification was to cut the IAC (idle control) wires and extend them. You have a 1996, so you dont even need to do this. Mine was an early Gen1, so the IAc was located at the end of passanger side intake. The 1993's are a bit oddballs...

To relocate alternator, Roe supplies a bracket. It is a simple 1-2-3 bolt on. Even my 10 year old could do it.

3114DSCN4352-med.JPG

3114DSCN4353-med.JPG

3114DSCN4351-med.JPG

So far I have not had any difficulties, very straight forward. I'll be adding the Nitrous to the system later if everything goes well with the 8lbs pulley on the dyno.

tooreal11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys...Im considering a Roe S/C....Did you guys use your stock throttle bodies? Did you guys just go with the Vec 2 setup? Im a newbie when it comes to mechanics soooo, when changing the pulley size are you increasing the boost?? I belive the kit I may be buying has a 10lbs pulley....it doesnt have the methanol injector, is that something worth purchasing?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Lauri. Those are the air intake tubes that come with the Roe blower? I would get an air box or something that is better than those tubes. I have a write-up on those tubes somewhere that I should post. One thing, you are sucking up engine heat and another you don't get the ram air effect you get with a box. Plus, you are pulling cooler air from in front of the radiator versus the air by the engine. When will it be totally done and driveable?

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Lauri. Those are the air intake tubes that come with the Roe blower? I would get an air box or something that is better than those tubes. I have a write-up on those tubes somewhere that I should post. One thing, you are sucking up engine heat and another you don't get the ram air effect you get with a box. Plus, you are pulling cooler air from in front of the radiator versus the air by the engine. When will it be totally done and driveable?

These tubes are straight from the aluminum wholesale place, cut and fit.
I needed something to drive it back from Dan's place, so we went with these.

I am still looking for alternatives, I have a carbon fibre airbox, which I may chop up or put on E-bay. Since Once I get the motor running again, I'll consentrate on sucking the cool air. :D
I saw a post from JackB, he had pretty slick setup.

My motor has is about 8 hours worth wiring, some unsolved tinkering and cleaning up the mess. I quess it will be running mid next week? I got rid of the 12lbs pulley and installed the 8lbs.

Hey guys...Im considering a Roe S/C....Did you guys use your stock throttle bodies? Did you guys just go with the Vec 2 setup? Im a newbie when it comes to mechanics soooo, when changing the pulley size are you increasing the boost?? I belive the kit I may be buying has a 10lbs pulley....it doesnt have the methanol injector, is that something worth purchasing?

- Mine are not stock, they are larger, but you can definately use stock T-bodies.
- I have a VEC2, nothing else. Works well with the others, so I did not want to invent the wheel.
- Small pulley (rotates faster the SC) = more boost
- Larger pulley (rotates slower the SC) = less boost
- I think 8lbs is the most you want to go without water/****. At 10lbs you start getting all kind of headackes... I will go there eventually, just wanted to start lower and fix the problems first. (whatever will show up in tuning)
- Roe sells a nice **** kit, definately good thing to have.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My motor has is about 8 hours worth wiring, some unsolved tinkering and cleaning up the mess. I quess it will be running mid next week?

SO that means you will make it to our AC Gathering? :headbang:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedEnuf93 ,
Can you keep me posted on how it all turns out with the nitrous when you dyno it? I already have the juice but here in about 6 months or so i'm looking to strap a Roe SC to it and run some nitrous just like your doing. What numbers do expect to put down? Your set-up is lookin good.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO that means you will make it to our AC Gathering? :headbang:

Unfortunately not. It may be running, then I need to finish the interior, gauges (3 to install), get it aligned, put new wheels on, oil change, PA inspection for this year, hook up the Nitrous, dyno again....

Like you see it MAY be running, but far from ready... I dont want to take it out of garage until its done.

Couple of weeks (pronounce 3 or 4) should do it. :2tu:

RedEnuf93 ,
Can you keep me posted on how it all turns out with the nitrous when you dyno it? I already have the juice but here in about 6 months or so i'm looking to strap a Roe SC to it and run some nitrous just like your doing. What numbers do expect to put down? Your set-up is lookin good.

I'll keep you posted. I dont expect to put down any specific numbers, nor do I have much of expectations either. (It has 410RWHP as is, the 8lbs pulley should do 150-200 extra? NX on top of it.
I want a drivable car, that may determine the pulley size, who knows maybe I'll go with 6,5? Then again, knowing me, propably not... :bonker:

Whatever it will do is better than what I have now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4