Roe Cats and NJ Emissions?

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running a Roe Blower and Roe's RT/10 exhaust/cats ('94 rt) and having a bit of a problem passing emissions. Sean's writing me another card which I'm going to try later this week, but I wanted to post here as I thought my numbers looked way high. Anyone else with similar setups have the same issue? solutions? Maybe point me to a viper-friendly private inspection facility in NJ?

HC (ppm) 1716 (NJ maximum is 117)
CO 1.59 (NJ maximum is 0.65)
CO2 11.9 (pass)
O2 3.0 (pass)
NO(x) ppm 668 (pass)

Thanks
-nick

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my guess is its the tune and blower rather than the cats giving you problems.

would water injection help this problem maybe ?

OP
OP
N

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the **** injection kit too. (sorry forgot to mention that) Hopefully the card that Sean sends will fix the issue. Otherwise, he suggested that I put stock plugs in temporarily and try it. Worst case I have to go back to stock cats. ugh.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while my engine is not supercharged, I passed Georgia emissions with the Roe high flow cats...

OP
OP
N

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possible that my super-high HC value is a result of a misfire? Maybe replace all plugs and wires?

-nick

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 77 truck that would constantly fail inspection because it failed the exhaust part of the test. I was told by a couple private inspection places that if you think your car will fail the last thing you want to do is to fail at a public place (supposedly because the state has your car on file as failing and the private places then have a harder time getting you to squeak through). The best bet would be to find a private inspection place that could "work with you and the car".

One thing about NJ inspection, supposedly if you can prove that you spent up to a certain ammount of money trying to pass they have to pass you even if you keep failing. I don't remember what that number is but you might want to look into "producing" reciepts that showed that you tried to fix things but just can't. Then in the future use a friendly local inspection place.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The limit is $450 fIrom thier website"

If your vehicle fails inspection and the re-inspection and you can provide receipts proving you’ve spent $450 to reduce its emissions, and it passed an idle test, you may qualify for a waiver. Note: pre-inspection emission repairs may be acceptable towards the waiver.

Additionally, repairs for emission failures may only be performed by the motorist, or by a licensed Emissions Repair Facility (ERF). If performed by the motorist, only the cost of parts applies toward the cost threshold (currently $450). Repairs preformed up to sixty (60) days prior to the initial failure can be applied as long as the repairs were emissions related and were performed by the motorist or an ERF.

OP
OP
N

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting bit of info - thanks. I guess I could buy an extra set of cats from Sean and use the reciept. =P

My private guy ran me through emissions prior to doing an inspection so I technically still have a valid sticker until June 31. He offered to pass me if I could get a copy of paperwork (to keep with his records of my inspection) showing that the cats sold be Roe were emissions certified, but Sean doesn't think they have anything of that sort.

bth1 - can you post a link to the info from the NJ website regarding this repair limit policy?

thanks
-nick

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick, I passed NJ sniffer no problem with my 2001 w/ Random Tech 3' High-Flows... I think you'll be fine... Yes, they are high-flows. But mine came with a card you put in the glovebox, that says 50 state legal...hope you make out ok