Roe OIL BREATHER

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you put the roe oil breather on a stock car? would it do anything to help the car? DOes it run cooler more efficiant? :2tu:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cooler but will help your engin to survive at higher rpms. This is a vital element if you have oil in your intake. Vipers have a bad habit to **** oil from the engin throught the intake. => Bad stock venting. It happens at breaking and cornering.

Oil in intake => broken engin sooner or later .... No1 viper killer for GenII Vipers. Year 00, 01 and 02 are highly susceptible to broke. These years have cast pistons that poorly resist detonation.

Basically the oil reduces the fuel's octane level by as much as 5%. If you ran on 91 oct fuel and your engin ***** some oil it will reduce the fuel`s octane level to 87-89. I let you imagine what happens when you run harder your Viper ...

There should have been two recalls on Vipers:
- Dumper bolt
- Crankcase venting

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should have been two recalls on Vipers:
- Dumper bolt
- Crankcase venting

There should have been more recalls:
- Gen1 headgaskets should have been replaced with new metal ones
- Power Steering cap falling off

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i assume for a 50 dollar part it is worth it.....
thanks for the info

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one too, but remember reading something about someone getting a surging idle with it? Try doing a search before you make the commitment, I think when I read that it scared me off..

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
makes me think of what to do. i thought after reading that it would do good for the car but hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two separate issues:

1. The PCV valve dumps directly into the intake. Cap the PCV valve and the one set of the tubes in the front of the intake. This creates a need for another breather, thus, the need for the Roe breather. This will dump an oil/air mixture into the intake under high vacuum, such as when engine braking

699Roe_breather.jpg

699Catch_can_pass_fr.jpg

2. The two tubes on the front of the valve covers vent directly into the airbox, thus, back into the engine. This is bad when makin hard left turns or during hard braking, the oil from the valve covers actually flows into the tubes and into the airbox. This again is compounded by aftermarket rockers, because they increase the oil flow to the upper area.

Here is a picture of the valve cover tubes tied into a tee and routed to a catch can. The oem tubing was just reconfigured to make this change.

699Catch_can_Drivers.jpg

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack,

Why do you keep the front stock breathers ?
The Roe breather should be enough to vent the engin, isn't ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock viper has two breather systems, the valve cover vents and the PCV valve. The two are separate and not linked together. The Roe breather was to replace the PCV valve that I blocked off. I did not want to reduce the oem venting capacity. There is a negative to not pulling vacuum on the crankcase thru the PCV valve, you will contaminate the oil quicker, hence, another reason for not reducing the vent capacity.

I had a problem with both systems. I pulled the intake in December to port match it to the heads, it looked like someone had poured oil thru it. I also had a problem with hard/long left turns on the track, the oil from the valve covers would actually make the car stumble. This was partially due to the T&D rockers, they drastically increase the oil flow to the valve covers. I now have no crankcase gases or oil dumping back into the intake and I have the oem vent capacity.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you recomend me doing this if i never drive the car hard or bring it to the track?

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the intake. i would take out the air filters and look for oil in the intake housing. i have a gen 1

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theo:

Pull the air box and tubes and look inside the throttle bodies, or pull the throttle body. You can also look inside the hose between the valve cover and the air box. I don't know if it costs much hp, but, my car looked like someone oiled the inside of the intake. We pulled a Gen 1 apart around the same time and his was the same way. It all happens uder engine braking, braking or putting some G's down in a turn. If the above doesn't describe your driving habits, don't worry about, on the other hand you are then missing what the viper is about.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol i agree. i will certainly check for that problem. thank you