Roe VEC 1 //Dyno Results

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got to the chassis dyno last night. Installed the Vec 1 last year and frankly couldn't tell any seat of the pants difference. Had some trouble keeping the car at an idle when I fiddled with settings.

Made several pulls to determind the best setting with my cars mods, 96 GTS headers, 1.7 rockers and 3" exhaust. No air cleaners and old plugs.

After a warmup run with settings at zero we did 448HP with 478 TQ
Third pull moved setting to a -8 low and + 16 high 552HP//492 TQ
Final pull moved setting to a -10 and +20 high 555HP /495 TQ
HP numbers were at 5800RPM and TQ at 4300 RPM

Well the thing works for me! Now I'll see if it still stalls once and a while at these settings. Maybe six year old O2 sensors affect the idle?

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pauls i assume your numbers are 452 and 455 hp. not 552 and 555 as posted. It shows the product works.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't yuor values reversed ? I thought you were supposed to dial the low toward the postive or richer side and the high load dial to the leaner or negative side.

S

SUN RA KAT

I have a 2002 with Sean Roe smooth tubes, S&B filters, Belanger headers, Random Tech ultra high flow cats, Corsa 3" cat back, and the Sean Roe VEC1. My VEC1's settings are +12/-20.
It feels like a 20 horsepower boost, but I haven't taken it to the dyno. At any rate, I think it is a worthwhile investment.

It needs to idle until warm or the PCM goes into a tizzy. Once your engine is warmed up then you can do adjustments without surging or almost dying.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sun Ra Kat, i have the mopar ecm also but i run 0 to + 2 on the low numbers and -16 to -20 on the high numbers. My car runs rich even at these settings, your back bumper must be black with sooth at +12 at low settings.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, my post was in total error. HP was 100 off and Vec + and- were backwards. Should have been +10 Low -20 high. Typo Ypo

S

SUN RA KAT

ronviper - I have very little soot on my back bumper and it may be even less now than before I installed the VEC1. I'm going to do the set up proceedure again now that the temperature in Ohio is less than 90+ degrees and see if the settings need to be changed.

I'm getting 14.0 MPG City with the VEC1 set to +12/-20 this last tankfull. It continues to amaze me at how good of gas mileage my Viper gets. I think the Belanger Headers, Random Tech Ultra High Flow Cats, Corsa 3" Cat Back, Sean Roe Smooth Tubes and S&B Filters, and the lightweight flywheel all contribute to my getting much better than the EPA gas mileage. I'm pretty sure the VEC1 (Viper Engine Calibrator) doesn't help gas mileage because I have the settings adjusted for power - and it adds a healthy kick in the pants more power.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey VEC-1 users,-20high should be to lean(mean)for everyday driving.When I run someone without juice,and remember,i'll dial it up to -20.Dyno it and be carefull viper brothers FYI.

S

SUN RA KAT

At -20 I still get the far right blue LED lit up and it's supposed to be the left blue LED that gets lit up at WOT.

S

SUN RA KAT

I did a few WOT runs in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gears tonight at a nearby closed course and the left blue LED was the only LED that came on. Setting on heavy load was still -20. The temperature was 75 degrees tonight and before when i set up the settings it was 90+ degrees. Also the PCM has had time to learn how to be happy with the +12/-20 settings on my VEC1.

My passenger was very impressed with my Viper's performance.

And so am I.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT , i tried +4 on the low and the car is too rich and feels slower. At 0 low and -16 high my car pulls like it's on the juice. I beat a supercharged mustang that runs 12.20 @ 118.40 so bad he could not believe my car just has bolt on's. I also beat a 11.47 buick gn baddly also that the driver asked me to pop the hood because he heard a sound like a supercharger. My bumpers are always soothy even at 0 low and -16 high. I am always trying different settings for my car. Good luck.

S

SUN RA KAT

ronviper -
I put the Mopar Performance PCM on my Dodge Ram and a lots of other mods, too. The last mod on my truck was the Mopar M1 2bbl intake manifold. It took my PCM about 300 miles of learning before I didn't notice an increase in performance each time I drove it.
I think the Viper PCM probably continously does learning, too.
I'm going to continue to check the settings every so often and adjust them when I find a different setting that works better.

I usually have more bug splats on the front of my Viper than soot on the back.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just not that lucky I guess.

When I Dyno, I make a number of runs. Not just one or two. I use a wide band O2 sensor in the header ****. I still run rich at the higher RPM's. I don't rely on the jumpy narrow band VEC1 for dyno runs.

Overall power across the RPM band is better with the VEC1, but peak power....not there. Without the VEC1 I peak at 443hp, with the VEC1 I do a 444.

ANDREW, I would say that your car will do about a 425-430hp. Many of the 2000's (cream puffs) actually drop in power the header and exhaust upgrades.