Rollbar/Cage

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will start to compete in DragRacing with my Viper next year, and have not yet been able to get an answer if I need a Rollbar or Roll Cage to pass the inspections. I will compete in Europe under the NHRA regulations. Please advice if possible.
I have a RT/10 and the goal is mid 10:s

Have a great new Viper Year!

/JP

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP,

Happy New Year!

There are lots of choices for roll cages(bars) out there, but NONE of them are NHRA legal until they incorporate a SIDEBAR per NHRA specifications. The sidebar must pass along a line between the drivers shoulder and elbow when seated, be padded, and may be removable providing that is securely in place at NHRA events/tracks. I have yet to see any viper roll bar(cage) that has the sidebar. HMS offers a nice starting point and maybe you can add the sidebar yourself. There is another company(somewhere in florida---i can't remember the name) who offers a good looking bar and even supplies the replacement plastic and vinyl components so that you will not have to cut up your interior!(i wish i could remember who that is)

In a nutshell, don't put one in if it is not CORRECT and LEGAL per the NHRA 2001 Rule Book, to a good tech inspector it is no better than a swingset for your kids if it doesn't meet specs. If you need text from that book let me know.

tom
Http://btrviper.com