Rough riding at 2.5k-3k rpm

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally have around 7k on my 03. Last month I took it to Bakersfield, CA which is 4 hour drive each way in 110F weather. Car ran great and the AC cooled the car perfectly. It was on all the time. I've noticed that lately, if I am lightfooted on the car at around 2.5k rpm, the car start to **** uncontrollably until I give it much more gas. I also noticed that it doesn't feel as smooth as before....not that viper has ever been smooth.;))

Has anyone had this problem? Any advice? Am I just imagining? The car has so much power that if there is a problem, it is hard to determine whether it is real or I'm imagining. Please help.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Join the club.. I think it has something to do with the heat. I have to get my car to Chucks.
Does the engine feel like it is bogging down? Once I let off the gas and then reapply all is well......

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seemed to run a little smoother after I upgraded the
plugs.

Herc :usa:

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Join the club.. I think it has something to do with the heat. I have to get my car to Chucks.
Does the engine feel like it is bogging down? Once I let off the gas and then reapply all is well......

Exactly! I can even hear the "bogging" down from my exhaust.....it doesn't gurgle like before anymore. I suspect the fact that I drove almost 8 hours in 100+ degree whether was the culprit. Let me know what the dealer says, please???? My warranty is over, so any problem will cost me money!

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guess what guys, the car just stopped the herky jerky this morning and then it came back again at lunch. On my way to my friend (a mechanic and viper owner), the engine light came on. The obdi (spelling?) thing says that my oxygen sensor is faulty! Off to the dealer this monday. I will update. The side of the faulty sensor, the exhaust is covered with black deposit. The exhaust on the right side is still shiny chrome.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly! I can even hear the "bogging" down from my exhaust.....it doesn't gurgle like before anymore. I suspect the fact that I drove almost 8 hours in 100+ degree whether was the culprit. Let me know what the dealer says, please???? My warranty is over, so any problem will cost me money!

You're out of warranty already? You should call Chuck Tator and find out if he can sell you an extended service contract.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Wish your Viper a speedy recovery.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in California you may not be SOL on the warranty. The O2 sensor may be covered under the Calif-mandated extended warranty on emission components.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change your spark plugs to Autolite XP985 and you will not believe the difference! Be sure to disconnect the negitive battery post, 10 mm socket, and leave it off for a few minutes so that the computer is reset. This made a whole world of difference on my viper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE NEGITIVE BATTERY BECOUSE WHEN YOU REATTACH THE BATTERY CABLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES INTO ANTI-THEIF MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. JUST OPEN THE DOOR WITH YOUR KEY, UNDER THE SIDE SCOOPS ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS A KEY LOCK, AND GET IN AND START THE CAR AND LET IDLE FOR 10 MIN AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT DID BEFORE