Rough riding SRT

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been driving an 03 SRT and the ride is terrible, very rough, interstates are enough to need a kidney belt after awhile. This car is a lot more harsh than my 01 GTS with Eibacks on it. Have other people expierenced this problem, are the shocks adjustable like the ones on our GenII cars. How do your SRT's compare in ride to previous GenII cars you have had? This car needs help, I just don't know where to start on it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving an 03 SRT and the ride is terrible, very rough, interstates are enough to need a kidney belt after awhile.

If the roads were maintained properly, you wouldn't have to gripe about the rough ride. Fixing rough roads are what your state and federal motor fuel USER FEES are supposed to be spent on.

There's a 6-year Federal Highway Reauthorization bill stalled in the Senate right now. It's 19 months past the term of the previous bill - TEA-21. Stopgap funding runs out again at the end of May. E-mail your Senator next week and let them know how you feel.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good plug, Dean...you need to send some of your crew NORTH to get a little work done up here!!! :D :D

In my opinion, our SRT-10 is the roughest riding Viper of that we have...but FUN !!!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving an 03 SRT and the ride is terrible, very rough, interstates are enough to need a kidney belt after awhile.

If the roads were maintained properly, you wouldn't have to gripe about the rough ride. Fixing rough roads are what your state and federal motor fuel USER FEES are supposed to be spent on.

There's a 6-year Federal Highway Reauthorization bill stalled in the Senate right now. It's 19 months past the term of the previous bill - TEA-21. Stopgap funding runs out again at the end of May. E-mail your Senator next week and let them know how you feel.

LMAO!! Sick em, Dean! :2tu:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's suspension is tuned for the track. I live at the end of a washboard dirt road. The stock suspension made me feel like I was caught in a paint shaker.

If you want the best of both worlds, get Motons.
Then you can stiffen things up for the track, and make it more compliant for the street.
(But they aren't cheap.)

OP
OP
V

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK guys, lay it on, but, I even had Superdavz in the car on a SMOOTH two lane blacktop at 55, he couldn't believe how badly the car rode either. Is there a shock adjustment available, how much of the problem lies is the run flat tires? My GTS is much more comfortable in its ride characteristics. Looking for help here with ideas.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The suspension in limited because of the ease of blowing the shocks in my opinion. The travel stroke is so short, they wanted to keep the dampening and spring rate high, not to mention the handling is enhanced. It is somewhat of a problem to detune the suspension for a softer ride. It can be done, but will involve some redesigning. It could have been done at the factory.

Those runflat tires are part of your problem. As they age, and they do age quickly, they will ride much harder. They are so stiff anyway, it doesn't take much to make them unbearable. The car loosens up after about a year or so, and that seems to really make the car ride worse. I guess it's all the rubber bushings getting a little slack in them. When you have a car that is firm as the Viper, not to mention the tires, it doesn't take much to make it feel a little rough. Corvettes are the same way. I don't like them when they are a couple years old.

Is it not amazing how good a Viper or any car for that matter rides on any road, when it's brand new. They soak up every bump in the road, even cheap cars are impressive, but it's not long that car starts loosing this. Sports cars loose there new car feel quicker, since they are so firm.

I wish they could redesign or improve the things on a car that allow it to loose these things so quickly. They wouldn't sell as many new cars I guess. That new car feel is why many people buy a new one every year. It's a dramatic difference.

Skip White

Skip White

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many have done so, but the ride is least of there complaints.

Not having a flat is a very nice feature, but there are to many negatives about these tires, such as cost, ride, traction, poor balancing as shown on a road force balancer, handling is not optimal, changing these tires can give a tire tech a fit, etc.

Skip White

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch to lighter wheels and tires, and you will notice a big difference in ride quality.

I still have my stock wheels and runflat tires for everyday use, but when I switch to my track wheels/tires (which are close to 20 pounds lighter per corner) I notice much improved handling. Get rid of 80 pounds of unsprung weight, and you will see substantial improvement from your suspension.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, that's so very true. In the world of suspension engineering, unsprung weight is so important to reduce. Many advantages to be realized. I've said several times before, and few people realize how laden the SRT's rolling wheel, tire , and brake assembly is. It's very easy to change, as I have. I'm down about 95lbs on this. What a difference.

Skip

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip, are those steel-clad aluminum rotors ever going to be produced? Looks like a real winner.

OP
OP
V

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Perhaps VR1's with Bridgestones would solve the problem. Of course, you must hope for no flats to contend with.
I am glad to know that it is not just this car that has the problem, we were concerned that there may be a suspension problem we needed to figure out.
Tony

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Switch to lighter wheels and tires, and you will notice a big difference in ride quality.

I still have my stock wheels and runflat tires for everyday use, but when I switch to my track wheels/tires (which are close to 20 pounds lighter per corner) I notice much improved handling. Get rid of 80 pounds of unsprung weight, and you will see substantial improvement from your suspension.
What about if I stop eating burger king. Do you think I will notice a difference?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, drop the Burger King fare, and notice your car going much faster, plus you'll have more money to spend on the car. This is why I'm allways looking to reduce weight on my car. When I gain a few pounds, it's the car that goe's on the diet.

Skip W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc