Round 2 !!! Help - OK What Is This Part I Found, Pics Inside!!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,,

Adam, if you need the lift we can do it here.

Mark

Hey Mark,
If you guys do line this up, I'd love to come out and help if you need the extra hands. I've been meaning to call you and see if we can finally get together, but just started a new job and have been insanely busy.

Kelly

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off, thanks to everything for helping me out on this. You guys are great!

Very big thanks to Hemi and Mark for offering up their garages and lifts. I just got myself an aero bed so I'll give one of you a call shortly ;)

After talking to Chuck T. for quite a while yesterday I have decided that the transmission needs to be pulled and the clutch assembly needs to be looked at and probably replaced. At this point I am 75-25 on me doing it or having someone else do it. He made it sound fairly easy to do apart from dealing with the 150+lb transmission and a few other nit picks. I figure I can get it done in a weekend fairly easily, barring any disasters.

So that is where I'm at. Nobody has ever heard of a pin or rivet like this EVER coming out of the pressure plate, and if it was a pin for the transmission to align with the block, the car would be in a lot worse shape because a major underlying issue would be present.

I'm going to decide what to do this upcoming week and go from there.

Thanks again everybody and I will keep ya posted!

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jim,

Could you show me which one you picked up? I'm assuming you did the clutch/tranny, got any tips?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you pull the tranny yourself, get a transmission jack. I bought one at Harbor Freight for $60.

Jim

BEST ADVICE EVER! I bought one too...not that cheap though, but WELL WORTH it. It goes up and down, and the "pad" can tilt on two axis! I bought it when I was teaching the kid on the Ranger, figuring I would need it later when I do the Viper.

Keep us posted Crom....MANY DIY'rs are watching. There are MANY Viper Owners who want BADLY to do some of their own wrench turning....they need good examples. :)

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you pull the tranny yourself, get a transmission jack. I bought one at Harbor Freight for $60.

Jim

BEST ADVICE EVER! I bought one too...not that cheap though, but WELL WORTH it. It goes up and down, and the "pad" can tilt on two axis! I bought it when I was teaching the kid on the Ranger, figuring I would need it later when I do the Viper.

Keep us posted Crom....MANY DIY'rs are watching. There are MANY Viper Owners who want BADLY to do some of their own wrench turning....they need good examples. :)
EXACTLY a tranny jack helps alot. I've done many trannys with and without a tranny jack and i WILL NEVER do one with out a tranny jack again!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the lower cover off, can't you see the clutch cover?
If the pin came from there shouldn't you be able to see where it came from?

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam if you have the time take lots of pictures of the process and post them here. Take notes as well. This may give others the incentive to tackle this in the future.

To have some fun and complete the job with a sense of accomplishment give yourself ALL the time needed without the pressure of a deadline.

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe,

You can only see a small portion of things, and definitely not the front of the pressure plate. It's just too tight in there.

Hemi, will do. I guess I could do an FAQ writeup or something along those lines. I always meant to do the Rich Deter short shifter shaft writeup and never got around to it. Tomorrow I may jack it up and put it on 4 jack stands, just to get that out of the way.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like one of the alignment pins at the front of the transmission where it goes into the bell housing.The alignment pins between the bell housing and block are hollow not solid.THere should be 2 pins in the front of the trans case one on each side.