Running rough

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper just started running rough. Here are the symptons/information:
1. Idle does not change hardly at all
2. Car has < 10,000 miles
3. Rough enough to really shake car - if we had cup holders, a cup full to within 1/2" of top would spill

If you have any ideas on this I would appreciate it!

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check spark plugs, plug wires, and even the coil packs as these sometimes go bad. I had one go bad but it only made a high rpm miss. Does it go away when you give the car some throttle?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same exact thing and Chuck T fixed it, it ended up being the IAC might wanna check that.

Also 10k the car should be starting to be broken and since you have a 97 that years has a very very agressive cam so it may acuatlly be normal.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the battery checked. Maybe at idle amperage is low & when gas is applied the alternator picks up amperage .. I have heard of a lot of things happen to a Viper with a bad battery

Andy

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you drive it enough. If you have ever had to recharge the battery then the computer has to learn to drive again. This only takes a day.

Otherwise you need new plugs and wires. Call Tator.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What CHuck said,

It sounds like your battery somehow got very low and it's lost it's memory and is trying to relearn. If it doesn't clear up after a day or so you might want to change batteries..

Gerald

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another indicator - If the exhaust starts heating up (you'll smell it of notice the smoke from the side sill) then it could be wires or plugs. (Raw fuel starts burning in the pipe / cat / muiffler). Saw this on a friends car and it was an open plug wire.

OP
OP
B

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Running rough - RESOLVED

It wasn't the battery, it was build up in the throttle bodies and a mis-synched throttle cables combination. Thanks to Maltby Motorsports here in Washington for the great detective and fixing work!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R