rwhp gain for mufler delete on 99GTS

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, the sound is much fuller/deeper/better. For $100 bucks it's hard to beat the sound and hp gain.

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted my mufler yesterday and I'm wonding what type of hp gain to expect. I checked the site, but only found firm numbers on side exhaust.

Thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most will say 8 to 12 hp. Don't know if this is a guess or if anybody has actually dyno'd, but the sound is definitely better wouldn't you agree?

FYI My 98 RT/10 with smooth tubes, K&N, rear **** removed dyno'd at 426rwhp.

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Did you remove the resonator also?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I just had the shop replace the mulfer with a staight pipe.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to press, but somepeople think the resonator is the muffler. Are you sure? The muffler is round and tubular and is in the side sill and the resonator is the rectangular muffler looking deal right behind the rear axle. I put snakeoyls on and it replaced the resonator but did not touch the muffler. Thanks
cool.gif

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say this much...
Tony's Viper sounded absolutely EVIL on the dyno, I'm pretty sure it was the loudest to go up that day, it really had a sound that would sting you in the chest.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, according to my Viper service manual, the resonator is the tube inside the side sill right after the catalytic converter. The muffler is at the very back of the car near the rear axle. Just the opposite of what you were thinking. There is a nice graphic of the exhaust system on page 11-4 of my 97 service manual.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I did this on my 94 RT (check the archieve to view my dyno sheets). Basically, 352 RWHP bone stock and 390 RWHP with K&N's, smoothies, and removal of the mufflers (located rear of the cat in the side sill, just under where you enter the car). An added benefit is a MUCH COOLER side sill. Difference was very dramatic!!

I have since then added a borla cat-back due to some droning and the sound of straight pipes. No dyno on this yet!! Let me know if I can help.