1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S1 T56 sequential shifter

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Early93Viper, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Early93Viper

Early93Viper Enthusiast

2. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

Very cool. The sequentials I've seen from the big boys go for around $25K. This would be much nicer ;-)

3. steve e

steve e Enthusiast

WOW, sign me up for that, Awesome.:usa:

4. diamond head

diamond head Enthusiast

Answer from S1...

How much will it cost ?

We don’t want give approximations the price will be released when its final, but im sure if you look at other similar products or other products with 20 CNC parts made in relatively small runs, you will get an approximate idea, Dont get your hopes up on it being $600.00. The shifter has been designed to be the best it can. I could redesign it to be cheaper however it would be much less efficient ( longer lever travel with more force required ) bigger , heavier , less reliable and I dont see the point in this especially on the reliability front, there’s no value in something that doesn’t work is there?

5. ROCKET62

ROCKET62 Has Left the Room!

WOW! That would be insane! My first thought - how badly will you need to hack up the top of the trans tunnel to get it to fit in a Viper?

6. Fatboy 18

Fatboy 18 Enthusiast

Liking the look of this :) Hate my gearbox.

7. VIPER GTSR 91

VIPER GTSR 91 Enthusiast

From H pattern to this and the most advanced and quickest is the paddles..........

8. PatrickG

PatrickG Viper Owner

Sign me up for this one. Sweet as hell.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  9. ViperPete

ViperPete Enthusiast

Whoa that's amazing.

Presumably that would work in my truck then too.

Would love to hear a Viper going down a straight with one of those.

10. EllowViper

EllowViper Enthusiast

For a static trans sitting on the bench with full synchros and all...indeed pretty impressive. If it hadn't been stated, I'd of thought the trans had no internals...but the OP states a 100% stock t-56. I wonder how much additional stress is put on the shift forks since with the normal shifter, you can sort of sense how much abuse you are delivering when banging the gears hard. This seems to me to really remove any sense of trans feedback you get through the shifter. I sure like it though!! WOW.

11. Camfab

Camfab Enthusiast

My thoughts exactly, my trans needs warm up time when I first start the car. I can only imagine, you would grenade the trans pretty easily.

12. ROCKET62

Might actually be better as the shifter will move the shift forks a specified amount and I'm assuming in a very precise manner. Most "banging of the gears" is probably being felt by the actual stops in the shifter and not the shift forks. And you still need to use the clutch - so matching ideal shift points is still going to be up to the user.

Who's gonna be the guinea pig? This would be crazy on the track and at the strip - wouldn't have to worry as as much when power shifting from 2-3 and 3-4 for sure!

13. EllowViper

EllowViper Enthusiast

I agree the shifting action will be extremely precise, but I was more thinking along the lines of the stresses introduced in the shift forks simply through the speed of the shift. Remember these forks will now go from static to rapid movement a lot faster than a normal shift. IF they are over-engineered already, that's cool. But I do see upgraded shift forks and bronze pads offered in most performance rebuilds and I have to believe that is for a reason. When I took my T-56 apart, I thought the forks looked pretty beefy already, even with the nylon fork pads. I'd hate to do this 'upgrade' only to grenade the shift forks since I'm working them too hard and fast. May be nothing (hopefully the developer will do some test & evaluation to verify).

14. Fangs10

Fangs10 Enthusiast

For Camaro, 700.00
    For Viper, 2200.00

Same part number

<sarcasm>

15. ROCKET62

Sure would be odd learning how to shift again! :omg:

16. EllowViper

EllowViper Enthusiast

Hopefully when I get back from deployment in 12 months it will be out there with many user experiences provided. I just drove mine yesterday and was imagining a drive with a sequential shifter. I gotta have one at some point.

17. PatrickG

PatrickG Viper Owner

Prices are out - Autsch - Quote from their Facebook page:
    ------------------------------

S1 T56 sequential shifter

We have managed to finalise the price and now have it at a point where we can offer great value and keep production local in Australia to ensure out quality standards are maintained . The price of a sequential conversion shifter will be $3400 Aud (+ gst for Australian customers) This is equal to about 2700 USD.

Details on ordering will be available shortly as will the demonstration video .

18. ROCKET62

$2700 - Ouch!

19. EllowViper

EllowViper Enthusiast

Price of one implant....so if you can't afford two for the old lady, a new shifter is a pretty good alternative.

20. Free2go

Free2go Enthusiast

ws.jpg

21. NI-KA

NI-KA Enthusiast

So the clutch will have to be engaged for each shift?

22. PatrickG

PatrickG Viper Owner

Yes, all it does is that it changes the shift pattern from "H" the a sequential pattern. Everything else stays the same just no more hitting the wrong gear.

23. Stuntman

Stuntman Enthusiast

I don't think this will improve how fast shifts are done since shift speeds are limitedby the clutch and synchros. With this shifting mechanism, the synchros are in tact and you still need to use the clutch. It will however, reduce/prevent mis-shifts.

24. Roy

Roy Enthusiast

are you guys 100% positive you'll need to use the clutch? Doesn't make any sense to spend 2700 bucks for loosing the misshift only, for 500 you are able to get some proper drivers lessons...I assumed flatshifting was the whole point of this piece of kit...

25. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Well, if you are able to safely shift the current transmission with the stock shifter without using the clutch, then you could do it also with this new shifter.

All this is is a sophisticated shifter that bolts to the top of the transmission like any other aftermarket shifter from Hurst or IPSCO or B&M. It translates the front and back movements to forward/back/left/right movements of the ball end lever that fits into the transmission.

I agree that it costs more than I would pay; but. there are a lot of car enthusiasts who have more disposable income than I do. I read about people who buy pretty wheels for more than that, LOL.

26. Boxer12

Boxer12 Enthusiast

I am sure they have tested it...looking forward to seeing some video and more details.

27. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ

Yes Sir, would love to see it operation in a Viper at a road course. Would be interesting to see if there is a better time (Same Driver/Same car-stock & upgrade comparison)

28. ROCKET62

Powershifting at the drag strip would be a blast! It would just have to make a difference on a road course as well. $2700 seems a bit steep to me, especially considering you could pick up an entire gently used T56 for the same amount.

29. Stuntman

Stuntman Enthusiast

It depends on the ability of the driver. For those less experienced, eliminating the H-pattern may make it easier to drive so they can go faster, but if the driver is proficient at shifting, the synchros and clutch actuation are the limiting factor so this shifter would not improve their lap times.

Now throw in a gear stack with dog rings and this shifter would be pretty cool (and much faster -mostly due to the dog rings).

30. PatrickG

PatrickG Viper Owner

Guess there is (still) no real sequential transmission available for <10k ?