Sad news - snake burned!

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I often worry about that. I guess that is why we have insurance and thank god not all Viper owners want to be life time owners :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, that hurts.

Looks like it may have started in the interior. Startech wheels .

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to be sure. Judging by the pictures, what few there are, and my experience, it appears the fire's origin is cabin related--just my .02 cents. However, it would be interesting to know what the text says, unfortunately I don't speak German.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wir trauern mit Euch - Eure Freunde vom Viperclub USA

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An update to the post...Utilizing a suggestion from VIC, a translation website provided the following text regarding the fire (the text is in it's raw format).

Ring-back signal To our regret there are no beautiful pictures this time unfortunately to see. Again we must say good-bye to a silver GTS. Peter is not "God thanks" anything happened. It began to smoke in the interior right, but to the fire-brigade was unfortunately already much too late it arrived. Apparent this problem with the overheated Kats occurred already well-known and also in the USA already repeatedly. We mourn with you - your friends of the viper club Germany

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like interior, but, last year I saw a cat totally close up, it burned an opening thru the pipe in front of the cat and started the interior on fire. The sill and the door bottom took the brunt of the fire. It was not an oem cat.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
An update to the post...Utilizing a suggestion from VIC, a translation website provided the following text regarding the fire (the text is in it's raw format).

Ring-back signal To our regret there are no beautiful pictures this time unfortunately to see. Again we must say good-bye to a silver GTS. Peter is not "God thanks" anything happened. It began to smoke in the interior right, but to the fire-brigade was unfortunately already much too late it arrived. Apparent this problem with the overheated Kats occurred already well-known and also in the USA already repeatedly. We mourn with you - your friends of the viper club Germany

Looks like this to me-

"To our regret, there are no beautiful pictures to see, unfortunately. Again we have to say goodbye to a silver GTS, but Peter is ok, thank God nothing happened to him. It began to smoke from the right side interior, but the fire department was much too late when it arrived. Apparently, this problem was due to overheated cats, a well known problem, and this has occured repeatedly in the USA. We mourn with you - your friends of the viper club Germany"

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some where in his post he said "Dank" I don't know what that means but I'm sure it's not good!
Silver Viper, RIP.

Driver is OK?

Dank is "Thank"....

Poor Viper. Looks like it'll donate some used parts to the community.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world's ugliest, heaviest and most overpriced wheels of all-time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, actually, that's the wheels on your car.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Comments by Anaconda, who is listed as an Enthusiast

May I suggest he Enthusiast off

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Point Jack,
Danger with aftermarket cats!
never thought about it.
The hot or cool ticket is to modify your existing cats.
Cut em in half and welded by together.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears to be a Roe Supercharged car if I'm not mistaken. The question, I would like to ask is.....
Is the aftermarket catalyst the problem?, or is it incorrect tuning on a blown application. I agree that the OEM catalyst is probably far superior in quality, compared to any aftermarket one. I'm just wondering if questionable tuning by enthusiasts or so called experts can be the culprit. Rich, as well as lean conditions can cause a meltdown. A rich condition, coupled with any catalyst will superheat the entire exhaust system. The Vipers side sill arrangement will only exacerbate any problem.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and silver is the best color too...too bad. i hope all is ok

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
ViperGTS

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic - your translation is perfect!
Peter, the driver is OK.
Another car stopped and he had a fire extinguisher - did NOT help much!
At this time, I do not know any details about the cause...

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with Camfab above as I've never heard of such a cat problem on a standard car, I'd guess something to do with the VEC2 programming seen it happen of here on a lesser scale luckily a hose was at hand, running rich and unburnt fuel..

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone run stock cats with a supercharger?
And yet one more good reason to cut my cats off!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone run stock cats with a supercharger?
And yet one more good reason to cut my cats off!!

One noted reputable tuner I spoke to told me that in Kalifornia, if you want to stay CA smog legal, you have to keep the stock cats, even with a blower. Thats just what I heard. I won't mention his name in case his advice wasn't accurate, I don't want to bring him any needless grief.

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My passenger side cat shut down during a 30K service at the local Dodge dealer last week (I didn't want to hassle with the clutch bleed).. Dodge is replacing both cats and painting the right sill - there was smoke in the cabin and discoloration of the sill, did not look like the sill malformed from heat.. any suggestions on what I should be concerned about besides the visual obvious & o2 sensors?..