Sad story, happy ending (pics too!)

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See, after reading this I want to do something nice for someone. You are a stand-up, classy fella.

If the world would only operate like this as a whole, could you imagine the bliss?

REMIX

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What goes around comes around. How often is that that a good thing? In this case I hope you get back 10X, as you truly deserve it!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
GREAT story and THANK YOU for all you do. Your story brought a tear to my eye and lifted my spirits for the day. Too bad more folks didn't brave the weather, but hopefully, the gentleman can become an honorary KC-VCA member and attend more events with more snakes in attendance.

Reaction score
Chris -

Your truly a Saint :) . You did a very special thing and shows you have a hart of gold (doesn't surprise me). Not everybody has a father, or a father with many birthdays ahead of them - Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us!

Doug

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Classy thing to do. I really appreciate things like this. If you ever pass through Denver give be a shout. Drinks are on me!! :laugh:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My vote goes to Chris for VCA CLUB MEMBER OF THE YEAR!

Chris, you're inspiring!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I third it (is there such a thing as thirding?).

Neat story. I'm glad he is kind to old folks -- not that I am almost one or anything.

(I have a theory on old men --- they go from senior to geezer to codger to coot. Since this guy is smitten with Vipers, he will stay a senior for many years to come. Love his smile.)

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

I too had tears in my eyes as I read your post. Nothing could make me more proud to be a Viper owner and a member of the KC VCA. I think I'm gonna hug you next time I see you....(and I'm not a hug a guy kind of guy!) You've definately made the Viper community very proud. Thanks for sharing your story. Now, to make this dream come true complete...we need to find the guy who took their money and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. Any leads?

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the comments although they are certainly unnecessary. A couple things in answer to a couple comments.:

1. YES, they filed a police report on this guy that took the $500 and ran. Hopefully they can track him down through the Toyota dealership and nail him. It is really sad that dirtbags can take advantage of people like this - and infuriating that they would use the Viper as a means to do it (even though he didn't even have one).

2. I agree that it would be wonderful if the kids could all pitch in and buy Dad a Viper, however it isn't realistic. I keep thinking that if I could ever afford it I would get my own dad (age 66) a '56 Chevy convertible like the one that was his first (and favorite) car. He is a bit younger and it can be found in an automatic. In the case of our birthday boy, he is indeed 80 years young. He admitted he had not driven a stick "in a couple decades" and that his reflexes aren't what they used to be. Mind you, he was able to get in and out of that car better than I can (limber!), but in all reality it is probably not a good idea for someone his age. Even drivers with quick reaction times get stung by the Viper's power. It would be a big challenge at that age.

3. This really is no big deal. My philosophy is incredibly simple: Why would I not share my good fortune with somebody if it will brighten their day? When I go to a car show or the track I will always get people asking if they can take a closer look (as do we all). I always ask them if they would like to sit in the car. And why not? While it is often classified as an "exotic", the bottom line is that it is a car. The floors can be vacuumed if someone tracks in dirt and the seats are pretty durable. If I am making the payments on this beast (so far, so good), why not let others enjoy it too? Mind you, I am not tossing over the keys to everybody, although I have let people I know drive it. Yet I certainly won't hesitate to take somebody for a ride if I really believe they would enjoy it. The car is simply too much fun to keep locked away in a garage for a Sunday cruise that only I can enjoy. Most folks will never get the opportunity and who am I to deny them this very simple pleasure? I know my money is being well spent if it can bring a little joy to so many people.

I learned my most valuable lesson from a fellow Viper owner on these boards when I got my first Viper back in 1999: Buy a cheap Polaroid camera and keep it in your car at all times. Why? Because giving that child (or 80-year-old birthday boy) a snapshot of them in the driver's seat is something they will cherish for years to come. And that, my friends, is truly priceless.

Chris

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT was a JOYOUS read! You deserve to be feeling really good about yourself...you earned it! Life sometimes can simply be the best! :D

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris
I would have come, the Bumblebee doesn't mind the rain.
Tim.
PS which one is the post about giving the rides by the donut shop?
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was good to see the Viper Club get some press. Today's (9/3/03) Kansas City Star, Metro Section, Page 1:

Also interesting to note that the writer also does the police beat. Hopefully he doesn't get to write about Vipers too often! ;)

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So was the rain or the speed limit the limiting factor? ;) I think your first picture in the original post was better than the one they chose for the story.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, what a great story. You did a wonderful thing. My dad loved cars, and he would always take me and my 2 brothers around to all of the dealerships when the new models came out(back in the late 50's and early 60's). This is probably why I've been a "car guy" all my life. I always told my dad that when I became successful, I would buy him a new Mercedes. Unfortunately, my dad died of a massive heart attack in 1979 before I had the financial ability to keep my promise to him. Today I have many cars, and every time I get out my S-600, I think of my dad. As I read your story, I couldn't help but think of my dad and how much he loved cars. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960