safe to tune a paxton via email?

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it safe to tune a paxton with an SCT via email? i should be getting my 1999 viper gts back from the shop on thursday or friday. I am thinking of getting the car tuned not to make more power but to have it run safer. supposedly the car runs safely with the paxton fuel set up, but i am concerned that it should still be tuned to run safely on my specific car.

i am in northern california but it seems like most of the premier tuners are far away. does anyone know a good SCT tuner in northern california?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's safe, but I would suggest taking it to a local dyno and having them do some pulls with the emailed tune to verify it's safe. You could also set it up where you email pulls to the tuner and he emails adjustments back within a few minutes. I've heard good things about DC performance in LA. It might be worth the road trip. I'm sure Sean at Roe Racing could do some adjustments via email as well. Good luck

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt do it. tuning is the most important part of your install.

you have DC and A@C in cali. dont be lazy, bring it to one of them. i drive from NJ to FL for the same type of stuff or less cause its worth it.

they can only tune so much from another location. let the tuner do what they do...TUNE. (not guess)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt do it. tuning is the most important part of your install.

you have DC and A@C in cali. dont be lazy, bring it to one of them. i drive from NJ to FL for the same type of stuff or less cause its worth it.

they can only tune so much from another location. let the tuner do what they do...TUNE. (not guess)

Well said Plum.....:2tu:.

Most tuners will "experiment" with different calibrations to get just the right tune for the driver . The owner may want the tune to be a "safe" tune which would be optimal for street use. You can also tune closer to the edge for track use. You can somewhat do this over the internet but your changes won't be validated with real numbers unless you have the time and money to keep going back and forth making dyno pulls with each change. If the tuner is there, with car on dyno, he can try several settings to get the best results. All done in one visit.

Basically, if your original tune is done over e-mail you somewhat miss out on the the fine tuning.

IMO I would get my base tune done with tuner on dyno, you can make adjustments via email.

You can also get a SCT programmer and have easy access to a street and track tune. They are very easy to change back and forth between calibrations.

Good Luck and be careful. Don't let that new power bite ya',,,,,

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for do-it-on-the-dyno. Don't forget the driveability stuff.....once you get the power tune working you may have to go in and clean up the idle and the fuel delivery at cruise etc to make it the way you want it to be.

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive. So they actually tune the whole table? I was under the impression they tune wotm and idle.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
every time ive seen vipers tuned, they spend several hours on the dyno with fine tweaking running up lots of miles then go out on the road with the laptop plugged in, i really dont see how this can be acheived to the same extent over emails

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a lot more to tuning than WOT. the amount of street tuning done on my car was silly but the driveability shows it. the last day DLM put it on the dyno to fine tune but it was basically all done on the street over the course of a few days. in rain, sun, heat, humidity etc.....