Salvage Viper. What's it worth??

chadebarry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salvage Viper. What\'s it worth??

I have a 2000 R/T 10 now with a clean title, and have bought a second one, same year and only one vin number off the first. It has had minor damage to the front left corner. The hood has a minor 3 inch crack by the left headlight, and needs a bumper cover. I know the prior owner, and he has a friend of his do the estamates that made sure that the hood needed replacing, along with all the wheels (which weren't damaged) The hood alone is $17,400. It has 13,000 miles on it.

I would like to know what people think I could get out of it if I were to take pics of it before fixing and be very up front with someone as to what happened to it. What is it worth???
Thanks in advance.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Salvage Viper. What\'s it worth??

Clearly repairable, but MOST cars thus-damaged need hidden suspension work. Call me for more.......

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sell it to me....I'll give you "...about...treefiddy." South Park Episode #34 (Chef gets married)

OP
OP
C

chadebarry

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just wondering what a guy can expect to take for a car that is in great shape, but has the prior salvage title??

I want to be up front with the buyer, and show the pics and damage that had to be fixed. I don't need to of the same car in my garage.

Do I expect to take $5000 less than what one is going for or what?? Just wanting some opinion on what some people think??

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you are looking for great parts at really good prices you should try ebay, or the classified section here. This is where I bought a lot of my parts, as one of the known used part guys out there is quite expensive and will over charge you if you don't know the real market price.

You can check http://www.electrowave.com/viper if you want to see pictures of the car I repaired, or search the archives.

Email me if you would like a detailed spreadsheet of the project.

My car does NOT have a salvage title, and the frame was checked on a Shark system by Dodge to be within factory specification, so no frame repair was needed. I'm not sure what my car is worth, as I haven't tried to sell it yet. Like you, I was planning of showing prospective buyer the before and after pictures.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do not listen to California Viper he has no clue!!! Yes the car can be insured, and yes a loan can be taken against it! But even if the car is rebuilt perfect the salvage title will kill its resale. Figure 20-25% off retail if it is done right. The problem with salvage cars is they typically are not fixed correctly. The reason the cars are salvage is that it cost more to fix them than they are worth. The only way to get around this is with labor, as Viper parts are expensive. Good luck and listen to Jon, sounds like thier is more damage than you know.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

If it helps I could get a 2002 ACR (<3000 miles) with hood, front fascia, and bumper support damage for $30,000 wrecked.

The more ignorant the buyer the more you can get out of them, but learned buyers will bankrupt you on the deal.

CaliViper is dead wrong, a wrecked Viper can be insured (and in fact has the same coverage value as a brand new car unless you elect "assumed value"), if your bank likes you there will be no problem getting a loan against it, and you can make a profit off of it if the stars look down on you.

Reality is that it would be a great project car for racing or tooling around in, plus its an invaluable parts car. Other then that pick the price YOU think the car is worth and subtract $5k and that would be the price your likely to get in sale.

Rebuilding Vipers is not a profitable hobby as a whole...

PS - Just re-read your original post. You can be as up front as you want with a buyer and it will be worth exactly squat. Any stranger will always ask himself "what isn't this guy telling me?" Plus the more info you give up the less the carcass will be worth. In this situation you would get much more under "buyer beware" rule then with honesty....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Actually,California Viper is partially correct. In many states, banking laws or personal banking rules, will not allow a Salvage titled car to be used to secure a loan. The car can be licensed virtually everywhere, but the other concern is the unavailability of a service contract, as they are unobtainable.Resale will be drastically affected, but it is a great start for a race car.

OP
OP
C

chadebarry

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for some of the input. I saw a 2000 R/T 10 exactly like mine, same color and everything. It is bid up to 43,000 and change right now. I thought that I would get around that for this one. The only thing that is odd about that car is that it says that it is a automatic and has cruise on it. Didn't know that they came that way??

Thanks for the imput!!

Will have the car ready to go after the first of the year if anyone knows someone who wants to get into a cheeper viper. (If there is such a thing)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang