Saturday in the shop and a tip for you Gen 2 Paxton guys

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided to spend my Saturday working on the Viper (again). I actually mades some progress this week and would like to share the following:

I was standing there with the hood open mentally preparing myself for what lie ahead. I have been trying to come up with a better air intake for my Paxton since the day I bought the car. Many ideas have gone through my head, all involving some sort of cutting, building, and testing. Then it hit me today. Why not just take the stock stuff and rotate it to draw air in from the driver's side of the car? So after some test fitting, some trial and error, and about an hour and a half I got it all figured out. It's a pretty tight fit with the stock K&N filter but now I am drawing air from the driver's side slightly above the frame rail. A quick temp comparison from the stock set up vs the modified set up showed about a 20 degree change in ambient temperature. The new set up also emliminates drawing hot air into the intake every time the fan turns on. I will attempt to post pictures tomorrow.

I also found the root cause of my car running hot. I have a Roe fan control kit and it didn't seem to be working properly. I had been through the relays and most of the wiring and still found nothing. I started playing around with (I mean diagnosing) the temperature sensor that mounts to the t-stat housing. I got the sensor up to temp and the fan came on as designed. I thought *** is going on as everything once again seemed to check out. Then I moved one of the sensor wires and the fan shut off. Wiggle the wire: on, off, on. Turns out that one of the wires that was soldered on to the sensor broke apart. I'm not gonna blame this on Roe as I have had the sensor off a few times and likely damaged it while re-installing it at some point. I cut the wire, re-soldered it, and viola! A working fan... Just in time too as it was 90 degrees today.

Another happy surprise came when I was up underneath the dash working on my boost gauge wiring. I found a computer box that didn't look stock. I turned it over and it was a Snake Oyl speedo recal box that is marked for 3.73 gears! This car always seemed fast off the line and now I know why. Glad I found that as I was considering new gears sometime in the future.

So it turned out (for once) to be a good day in the shop. It's nice to get out and bond with my car every now and then. Especially when everything goes right. :)

Happy Vipering! :drive:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked with DC Performance on the Paxton Air intake issue?

I know they used to make a cone shaped intake that was a big improvement for the paxtons on the Ram SRT 10. I don't know if they were able to incorporate that into the Viper car paxton kit but it would be worth checking with them.

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the photos of the final product:

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16906.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16903.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16905.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16902.JPG[/media]

It's a really tight fit and could use some tweaking but it seems to be functional.

An added benefit is that it takes the filter out of the NACA duct and allows air to flow straight over the radiator and engine, which can potentially aid in cooling.

The ambient temps that I took were in a 78 degree garage with no wind or airflow. The vehicle was 12-14 inches off the ground on jack stands. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes at idle. I observed 98-103 degrees at the top of the radiator where the filter used to be. I observed 78-86 degrees at the filter's new location. I can re-verify this if anyone cares or is interested. Your temperatures may vary due to any number of evironmental variables and of course this information is subject to change. :cool:

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
blower and 3.73 gears?? Sounds like a wild ride! :drive:

So I decided to spend my Saturday working on the Viper (again). I actually mades some progress this week and would like to share the following:

I was standing there with the hood open mentally preparing myself for what lie ahead. I have been trying to come up with a better air intake for my Paxton since the day I bought the car. Many ideas have gone through my head, all involving some sort of cutting, building, and testing. Then it hit me today. Why not just take the stock stuff and rotate it to draw air in from the driver's side of the car? So after some test fitting, some trial and error, and about an hour and a half I got it all figured out. It's a pretty tight fit with the stock K&N filter but now I am drawing air from the driver's side slightly above the frame rail. A quick temp comparison from the stock set up vs the modified set up showed about a 20 degree change in ambient temperature. The new set up also emliminates drawing hot air into the intake every time the fan turns on. I will attempt to post pictures tomorrow.

I also found the root cause of my car running hot. I have a Roe fan control kit and it didn't seem to be working properly. I had been through the relays and most of the wiring and still found nothing. I started playing around with (I mean diagnosing) the temperature sensor that mounts to the t-stat housing. I got the sensor up to temp and the fan came on as designed. I thought *** is going on as everything once again seemed to check out. Then I moved one of the sensor wires and the fan shut off. Wiggle the wire: on, off, on. Turns out that one of the wires that was soldered on to the sensor broke apart. I'm not gonna blame this on Roe as I have had the sensor off a few times and likely damaged it while re-installing it at some point. I cut the wire, re-soldered it, and viola! A working fan... Just in time too as it was 90 degrees today.

Another happy surprise came when I was up underneath the dash working on my boost gauge wiring. I found a computer box that didn't look stock. I turned it over and it was a Snake Oyl speedo recal box that is marked for 3.73 gears! This car always seemed fast off the line and now I know why. Glad I found that as I was considering new gears sometime in the future.

So it turned out (for once) to be a good day in the shop. It's nice to get out and bond with my car every now and then. Especially when everything goes right. :)

Happy Vipering! :drive:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That intake would definitely not work with any thicker radiator. Here's to hoping you do OK once the real hot weather shows up this summer. Keep cleaning that car up. I know what it is like to buy a Viper that was not previously given the love it deserves. Fixing the little details will make the car your own.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems as if the air flow would be restricted more down there. I would think directly behind the NACA would be a better choice, but with a bigger filter not the tiny one Paxton expects you to use.

Too bad the tank and pump is behind the drivers side fog light. I think that would make a good place, just relocate the tank and pump (although I don't know where) and drill a larger hole where the coolant line runs in going to the tank.

Anyway....let us know the difference if you get to the track. Do you run just a screen at the track?