SCCA LICENSE

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys here it goes...............I'm looking to get an SCCA License. What I'm looking from you folks is the "HOW TO". I've done the research and it seems that the more I find the more there is to know! I'm aware of the different schools and are in the process of determining which one to attend, i.e. Bertil Roos 5-day, Bondurant Grand Prix Road Racing 3-day, etc. I am also aware of the novice permit and the requirements before getting the regional and ultimately the national. The SCCA website is helpful, but I would like intel from those who HAVE the license and your recommendations. Any and all info IS greatly appreciated! :drive:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest way...Attend 2 Scca Schools. Nelsons Ledges, Summit Point, Roebling Road has them. Rent a vehicle, or have a crew handy. You can have your liscense in a short time. What are you plans? Just Regional Racing or National Racing. If your looking at National Racing you can have your national Liscense in a short period of time.

OP
OP
S

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

My goal is to go national.

Thanks for the replies. I also sent Bill a message.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Bondurant class is a freaking blast!!! I fly out that way a few times a year. Awesome!!!

Prfgdwrnch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jay,
Back when I first got my liscense in '73, the only way was to take the two SCCA schools. In 2000, my wife gave me a Barber 3 day school at Limerock as a Christmas gift.
With the SCCA schools, you supply the car and safety gear so you need to have your own or make arrangements for a rental. Make sure you also have at least two crew members with you. Between on track sessions, you will be in critiques and not have time to service the car.The SCCA scool is heavy on safety but light on technique.

The Barber school is arrive and drive. They have the cars, crew, and safety equipment. Barber is very strong on technique. Even with 27 years of racing under my belt and Limerock being my home track, I still learned plenty.

For someone just starting out, It would be best to rent or go to a school that provides the cars. If you find racing is "not your cup of tea", it is easier to walk away. There are many spec Miatas out there for rental as that is a popular class.
Have you already decided on a car and class? If you are a total newb, you may want to go to a few SCCA races. It helps to learn the ropes. You may even want to try crewing for someone. Most racers are looking for crew. Don't be afraid to ask.
I am still racing and looking forward to starting my 36th season. My current car is a Graphite with silver stripe gen 3 RX-7 in the GT-3 category.
Good luck with your racing. Keep posting about your experience, it may be helpful to others.
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte