SCCA Time Trials!!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I competed in my first ever SCCA Time Trials event last Saturday. It was a real blast.

For all of you who enjoy tracking your Vipers, I would highly recommend the Time Trials experience.

SCCA Time Trials are held at race tracks (not coned parking lots like auto-x.) You have a transponder on your car, and participate in a lapping session with other cars. You are scored based on your fastest lap of the day.

You are on the track with other cars, but you are scored on time, not position, so there is no incentive for anyone to undertake aggressive passing, etc. Passing is restricted to certain passing zones.

It’s a lot like an open track day, except that your laps are timed, and there are trophies at the end. For me, it is the perfect compromise between speed, competition, and safety. I’m not interested in real racing with my Viper, but the Time Trials format adds just the right amount of competition to the track day experience.

http://www.scca.org/Club/Index.asp?IdS=0181C4-C809420&x=030|016&~=

http://www.sccatimetrials.org/

All you track day junkies who want to crank up the intensity a notch or two should definitely consider Time Trials.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like Viper Days.

I browsed around but couldn't find a price. How much track time did you get? Did they run you in groups?

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like Viper Days.

I browsed around but couldn't find a price. How much track time did you get? Did they run you in groups?

It was $90 for the day.

Yes, they run you in groups.

Right off the bat, you do an intial qualifying session. The qualifying session is not for competition. It just gets you familiar with teh track and they use your qualifying times to sort you into one of three groups based on speed.

After qualifying, you get 40 minutes of competitive track time, broken down into two 20 minutes sessions. When you aren't driving, you are working the corners for the other two groups.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound like fun wish there was something local. I went to the local website for kansas city and could not find anything.