Searching for assistance in learning about Vipers.

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this same question on another Viper forum as well. I want to make sure I make the right decision when I buy a car, as I rushed into buying my last toy, and I spent more money changing it to what I really wanted in the first place than if I had just taken my time.

I just sold my FFR Shelby Cobra replica. I'd like to replace it with the Viper. I loved my Cobra, but I sold it because I never drove it. Since my son was born 2 years ago, I put less than 500 miles on the car. We didn't have a source of babysitting, so we couldn't do all the things we used to do with the car. With no roof, no windows, and no heater, and a carburated engine that liked to warm up before really running great, it wasn't a car I'd hop right in and run a quick errand.

With that in mind, I'd like to hear from different owners what owning the Viper is really like for the kind of use I'm looking for? Are the soft top and side curtains on the earlier Vipers practical at all? What about the optional hard tops and windows?

I have to be realistic with myself and my finances, so I'll be looking towards the "lower" end of the price spectrum...though I don't want to buy an abused car or one of the salvage cars I see out there. I want a nice clean car, just on the lower end of what a clean car would cost. What can I realistically look for in the roughly $40,000 and under range? I'd like a car that my wife and I can really enjoy when we do have a babysitter, but also something that I can hop in for a quick trip to the store or something.

Steve

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$40k will get you a nice clean Viper.

Are the soft top and side curtains on the earlier Vipers practical at all?

Depends on what your definition of practical is. The top is a PITA to assemble, leaks and the windows prohibit you from going to drive thru food place or paying tolls without a bunch of added trouble. They can save you if you get caught in a flash flood (except for the leaking you'll experience), but my motto is "If I need the top and windows, I dont drive the car"

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a Gen 1 owner and IMO the 92-95 cars should not be used as everyday drivers and the top/curtains should only be used if you get caught in bad weather.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I had been looking at Vipers from day 1 sometime back in 1992, I would have bought a GEN 1 92-95 back then if I could have afforded it but AAANNNTTT! NO DICE!

The Gen II's Improved on the usability scale and made it more of a daily driver of sorts while adding 50 more ponies, I think the hood alone made the Gen II more exiting not to mention the power windows, A/C, Hardtop and some sportier rims. (NO SIDE PIPES THOUGH :~(

Gen III's sometimes called the cream puffs are loaded with all the latest technology, ABS, EVEN MORE PONIES, but the price tags are going to be out of even the high 40's, Personally I think they lost a little bit of the seductive factor in styling as they sharpened everything up to the point it starts regressing towards generic if a Viper could ever be such a thing!

I settled (overjoyed) on a 98 RT/10 Red with 10,000 miles on it for $41,000 and it is worth every penny! As each generation moves onto the next production year they work more bugs out and add features that should have been included in the first model year that it came out, so the 96 and 97's where the 1st 2 yrs on GEN II which will most likely suit your needs and the 98 being the third refinement phase of that generation is right on your target price line, I would consider the 98's and 99's if it where me.

These guys on here know A LOT more than me, so they'll have a lot more to say and probably will correct me as well, so stand by for some great discussion. Great question and welcome to the best Viper Forum on the PLANET!

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Steve
I reconize your user id from Club Cobra. I didn't post there much , but was an active reader for about 4 years. I also came from a Cobra replica and I'm on my second Viper.
Like the other posts have said, GenI is the rawest, Gen2 more refine then Gen3.
For the $40K range, for errands and everyday driving probably the Gen2 would be best.

Check them all out. Have fun.

Carleton

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can come up with $45K-$50k you'll greatly enhance your options for a great Gen II Viper. Take your time and find the Viper in the color and style you want. RT/10 or GTS You won't regret it.

Good luck

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you need to stay within a budget, remember that unless the headgaskets were done on the 92-96 RT/10's it is likely that they will need to be replaced soon with the new style gaskets (~$1,000 for just the gasket). Also you see lots of people with low mile Gen 1's bragging that they still have the origional tires with lots of tread. If that is the case you will also need to budget about $1600 for a new set of tires. So if you want to stay under 40k and want a Gen 1 you will want to keep that in mind and will probably not want to spend more than 35-36k.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$40k will get you a nice clean Viper.

Are the soft top and side curtains on the earlier Vipers practical at all?

Depends on what your definition of practical is. The top is a PITA to assemble, leaks and the windows prohibit you from going to drive thru food place or paying tolls without a bunch of added trouble. They can save you if you get caught in a flash flood (except for the leaking you'll experience), but my motto is "If I need the top and windows, I dont drive the car"

What about putting a double bubble hardtop on a gen 1? I imagine it is somewhat easier/quicker to install than the soft top, already have seen it on a '92 Viper. Only problem would be storage and the fact that you need two people to get it on the car (or you would need to buy the 3 piece top that you can store in the trunk, if it fits on gen 1's that is).

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, great feedback.

The car would not be a daily driver for me. If I had a hard top and roll up windows (i.e. can completely lock the car up), I may take it to work once or twice per week during nice weather. But it would be a weekend fun car. However, having owned a Cobra for 4 years, I know the limitations of a car with no top or windows. There were soft tops and windows available for the Cobra, but as has been said here, they were really for emergency purposes only.

I'm reading about this Gen I head gasket issue. Did all Gen I cars have this, or just certain years? Was the problem completely cured on Gen II? I'm not too concerned if the car has a/c or not, though it wouldn't hurt. Do the cars get very hot inside? My Cobra could get pretty warm on a summer afternoon.

Does anyone have experience with the Vipermania hardtop and side windows?

Budget is something that I definitely have to watch out for. While I'd love to stretch to close to $50K, I've got to keep my family needs as priority, so I'm looking for a good bargain. But like I said, I won't buy something just because it's cheap, if it isn't the car that I want. That's the same motto I would tell perspective Cobra buyers. Buy the car (color, engine, etc...) that will make YOU happy. I'm going to keep reading and researching to see which one would be right for me.

Steve

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Klayfish,

I'm in the same boat you are in right now, perhaps my task is even tougher. I'm looking for a 97 or 98 GTS for 40 or less. What I have found is that owners are willing to take anywhere from 3-6grand off of their asking price. Many of the vipers that come up for sale stay for sale because they are garbage and have sketchy history (I found a 98 GTS with 40k miles for 34, but I didn't get the car due to several things that just didn't seem right). On the other hand I have found some nice ones for right around 40, but they are all on the West Coast. I don't want to pay shipping and airfare expenses if I can avoid it. If you want to get into a 97 or 98 RT10, there seem to be quite a few of them out there in your price range. Just be patient, keep an eye out, and don't steal my car!!! :nana:

Old 93 Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am selling a one owner 1993 Viper with only 9500 miles. See my add in the classified section. The car is in great shape and includes a set of new Pilot Sport tires.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm reading about this Gen I head gasket issue. Did all Gen I cars have this, or just certain years? Was the problem completely cured on Gen II? I'm not too concerned if the car has a/c or not, though it wouldn't hurt. Do the cars get very hot inside? My Cobra could get pretty warm on a summer afternoon.

I'm reading about this Gen I head gasket issue. Did all Gen I cars have this, or just certain years? Yes. Try to find one that has the new MLS headgaskets. That cures the problem

Was the problem completely cured on Gen II? Yes.

Do the cars get very hot inside? Yes. The engine heat will get it QUITE toasty, especially if you have the top and windows on

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klayfish,

I'm in the same boat you are in right now, perhaps my task is even tougher. I'm looking for a 97 or 98 GTS for 40 or less. What I have found is that owners are willing to take anywhere from 3-6grand off of their asking price. Many of the vipers that come up for sale stay for sale because they are garbage and have sketchy history (I found a 98 GTS with 40k miles for 34, but I didn't get the car due to several things that just didn't seem right). On the other hand I have found some nice ones for right around 40, but they are all on the West Coast. I don't want to pay shipping and airfare expenses if I can avoid it. If you want to get into a 97 or 98 RT10, there seem to be quite a few of them out there in your price range. Just be patient, keep an eye out, and don't steal my car!!! :nana:

The 97 RT's are rare(only 117 built that year), none in the classified. The 98 RT's are a little more plentiful, but still only 379 and none in the classifieds. You just miss a 99 on ebay going for $35K, but as with anything on Ebay, make sure it's fully checked out. Good luck on your search :2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'd love to stretch to close to $50K, I've got to keep my family needs as priority, so I'm looking for a good bargain.

Sounds like you just need to modify your priorities :)

Yes Vipers do get warm inside, and remember your first Viper won't necessarily be the last one you'll own.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't own a Viper with a fixed hardtop, where's the fun in that? To each his own. No hatchbacks for this guy!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope '99 Vipers with mid 20K on them are selling for more than 35K, that seems way cheap. They must have stories.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stories or perhaps these are people who have more money than brains or don't want to take several months to sell their cars and just want to pay off what they owe. I have noticed that RT10s sell for around 5-10% less than an equivalent GTS, so someone talk me into getting an RT10. I've never been in one before....

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hello

i would be willing to sell a 94 rt/10 if you guys are interested...just pm me

low miles and tons of upgrades!

ryan

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that silver Viper on Ebay, but it listed as having a transmission problem where you had to hold the shifter in reverse until letting out the clutch. That would concern me.

And Andrew, if I modify my priorities any more, I'll have to modify my sleeping arrangement here at home!! :rolleyes:

Steve

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that silver Viper on Ebay, but it listed as having a transmission problem where you had to hold the shifter in reverse until letting out the clutch. That would concern me.

And Andrew, if I modify my priorities any more, I'll have to modify my sleeping arrangement here at home!! :rolleyes:

Steve

You act like thats a big deal. Just buy the Viper you want, and sleep in it. It'll be more comfortable than the couch anyway ;)