Seats--Gen 3--killing my back--HELP!!!

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I got the back support that Sandy G had suggested (see page1). I have not driven it yet, but it does seem to fill the gap at the lower back. Also, it moves you up a couple inches or so in the seat and takes you partially out of the "hole", which should help. Anyway, I hope to drive it in the next couple days... I will report back in hopes that what I learn may help a few others that have expressed a similar problem with the seats. Thanks. :drive:

By the way, the rest of the car is awesome!!! I don't quite get the attention I got in the yellow 2001, but the attention I get is still pretty amazing. The color does not catch people's eye right away since it is silver and there are so many cars that color, but once someone sees it they really give it a long look wondering "what the hell is that beast?". The silver is also very classy looking IMO. I almost bought a silver Mecedes SL550 because of just how classy the thing looked. Viper won. (By the way, the seats in the Mercedes weren't that comfortable either--hard as a rock :lmao::lmao::lmao:)

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got the back support Sandy G mentioned. I think it may work. My first drive I had (about 15 miles) I did not have any pain. Next drive will be longer. We will see. Thanks Sandy for the tip. I may still have the seats modified over the winter. We'll see.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen 3 looks like a street car to me. Most are driven on the street and they are sold as a street car except the special models. Why else would they have a passenger seat, air conditioning, power windows, power locks, 6 disk changer, convertible top, carpeting, etc.? If I can't get this solved I may have to trade for a Vette. I wish at this point I could return it to Roanoke Motors and get my money back. If I can't drive it, it is not worth having, period. :mad:

george,
i had the same problem with my gen3. when my back was hurting it was hard to drive the viper.
if you want a good, long term solution, bring it to a good upholstery shop.
my experience is that the seats dont have enough lower back support, at least for me.
the upholstery shop can tailor make the seat back just for you and the seat will look stock. it might cost a few hundred bucks but its money well spent.
good luck

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
george,
i had the same problem with my gen3. when my back was hurting it was hard to drive the viper.
if you want a good, long term solution, bring it to a good upholstery shop.
my experience is that the seats dont have enough lower back support, at least for me.
the upholstery shop can tailor make the seat back just for you and the seat will look stock. it might cost a few hundred bucks but its money well spent.
good luck

I think that is what I am going to do over the winter. You are an Il VCA member--anywhere near Peoria???

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using that support for a couple of years now and never again had a back problem. Make sure you use the lumbar adjustment to fill in the back. Hope this will do the trick, I bet it will . Keep me up to date, in 68 and needed it bad. Nice color match also, you think? sandy

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So why not just buy a pair of Gen 1 seats??? Give JonB a call, I'm sure he has a set stashed somewhere in the country.

Ted

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using that support for a couple of years now and never again had a back problem. Make sure you use the lumbar adjustment to fill in the back. Hope this will do the trick, I bet it will . Keep me up to date, in 68 and needed it bad. Nice color match also, you think? sandy

The lumbar is all the way out. The true test will come this weekend when I drive the car in a parade.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in chicagoland. downers grove to be exact.

Nice area. I went to college with a guy who was the center on a Downer's Grove basketball team that went to state back in 1980 or 81. We played on an intramural team together and then he walked on the college team for a couple years (UW-Green Bay). His name is Tony Litwinchuck (probably not spelled right). Anyway, I was just checking in case you were close and I could use the same shop (I assume from your previous post you modified your seats). There are a couple good shops around here. I get up to that area a few times a year as my wife's family lives in several different suburbs near you. Next time I come up I will PM you and see if you are around.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice area. I went to college with a guy who was the center on a Downer's Grove basketball team that went to state back in 1980 or 81. We played on an intramural team together and then he walked on the college team for a couple years (UW-Green Bay). His name is Tony Litwinchuck (probably not spelled right). Anyway, I was just checking in case you were close and I could use the same shop (I assume from your previous post you modified your seats). There are a couple good shops around here. I get up to that area a few times a year as my wife's family lives in several different suburbs near you. Next time I come up I will PM you and see if you are around.

i had a couple of gen 3s. was about to have it done but then i traded my gen 3 at the time for a noble m400. i currently have a superformance gt40 but am looking to sell it/trade it in on an 09 or 10 acr.
the shop i would have do it is riggs brothers. they have a few locations. the one im familiar with is in downers grove right off ogden and finley. great work.
feel free to pm me anytime.
take care george

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK......you drove in the parade. How did you back hold up? Any improvement in the support?

The parade got rained out after about 15 minutes, but I did have to be in the car lining up, etc. So, I was in the seat for about 1 1/2 hours and really no significant pain. The only thing I do not like about the cushion is it stops around the bottom of the shoulder blades and leaves a bit gap the rest of the way up. Normally, your back does not touch the seat that high, but if you want to lean back a bit you can't.

Sandy, it was a great fix anyway. I can drive the car without much discomfort and it really shows where the improvement would need to be made if I took it to a uphostery shop. Also, like you said, you can barely see it because it is the same color and fits almost perfectly between the sides of the seat. Mine stays in perfect position with me attaching any of the straps. Thanks so much for your help! Thanks to you I can drive the car. :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc