Secound time around MGW short shifter install

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the second time around, Thanks to George Ciamillo ofMGWLTD for his super professional install of their short throw shifter in my2010 white vert. George did this before in my 04 white mamba, and after beingused to it I had to have it in my latest Viper. George’s shop is in Augusta Ga,and Saturday Jack Winter and I drove there. I t took about 1 ½ hours for theinstall.
In 2008 I did a illustrated upgrade of the install for theforum
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/616840-MGW-Ltd-Short-throw-shifter-install
George’s company makes all manner of parts includingprecision weapons parts, shifter systems for Camero,Corvette,Mustang and ofcourse Vipers. I took a tour of their facility and it appears as clean as a hugeoperating room. Every tool clean and in place. I saw over a dozen cnc machines .
Some say that MGW’s short throw shifter system is one of thebest aftermarket upgrades for your Viper. I agree.

:drive:

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't be done from the top without cutting away part of the sheet metal. I did mine last Spring, took about 4 hours (I am very slow). Take all the stuff off the top, get the car up on 4 jackstands, remove the belly pan and lower the tranny approx six inches. There are 4 bolts to remove and replace the shifter, all are a blind install.
Not hard, just tedious.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it can be done from the top, but the method in the Illustrated is much better and you don't have to butcher your Viper..I'm told by George that you can do it with just a lift, without a tranny lift.
the only diffrence is you will need someone to lift the tranny while you remove the cross brace. then slowly lower the tranny it will stop on its own giving you room to do the install and without damage.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tons better. Length of throw is shorter and smoother. MGW makes a quality product. Stock shifter felt like I was grabbing a baseball and sat way too high. Very pleased with the change, wouldn't think of going back.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough...tons better than using a MGW knob that shortens throw too? I've had those on all 3 of my Vipers

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely curious about the MGW shifter, but I'd have to try one in person before biting the bullet...shifters are so subjective, and for me, the factory Gen IV shifter with the 2010 ACR shorter handle is pretty nice. Reminds me of a B&M Ripper I had in my old Camaro.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was checking mgw's page( i bought a knob and other goodies from them last week), but i couldnt find a shifter, where is it located?, thanks.

They don't list it on their website...I'm pretty sure you could just call and ask them about it, or you can order it from a place like Woodhouse.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't list it on their website, but they make um. In my 04 on Atlanta Motor speedway, turn 3 , downshifted from 5th to 2nd, that convenced me to go for the short throw. much improvement in my mind. The shift distance is about half, maybe less.

The install on a Viper is somewhat more difficult than the Vette,Camero, Mustang.

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In comparison to the stock shifter in my 2010 ACR after 20,000KM - night and day, worth every penny.
Mine was done at the tiime transmission was removed for a BBG strapped racing clutch/flywheel which is also far Superior to original.
Im loving the combination.

Anyone ever notice Sneaky Pete logo on there 6060 trannys???

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang