selling my FE

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to sell my FE (#92) w/ 7300 mi and warranty till 08/05.
Please give me some advice on how to seperate the "tire kickers" from the serious buyers. Especially the part when they want the "test drive" or the "well, let me let my mechanic check it out"
I know I'll get calls from people with zero viper knowledge, (eg. what kind of engine, or what color is a final edition,etc). That will indicate that they are prob a waste of time. But, since you never know for sure who might actually step up with the money, I don't want to totally blow them off.

Maybe some advice from my fellow Viper owners will help with this process.

thanks alot.
PS. (I'm going to run the ad for $59,500)

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does it have an automatic transmission?

I am trying to buy one with an automatic that can be shipped from England. I just have to pay a 3rd party with cash and its mine. So if you have an automatic I can forgo the shipping and save money with you.

;) ;) ;) :p

Sorry could not resist.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why the change of heart??? Got tired of her already? Good luck. Hope you get your price. :(

OP
OP
F

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, over 200 views but no advice?
is this the viper god's way of saying don't sell... lol

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope you got my joke above!! Anyway, I don't have a Viper yet, but as a buyer I would offer this. A serious buyer should know something about them. Not every nut and bolt but certainly the basics. Not all may have ever driven or maybe even been in one...like me. I can respect the seller to not let me drive it, but we damn well will go for a ride in it. I also think it is fair to have it inspected by someone unless the buyer is already savy with the particulars of the car. Again, however I know that before I ask the seller to put up with my wanting to go for a ride or an inspection, good faith money should be on the table or the seller should be comfortable with my interest. Let your gut feelings work for you here.

From reading about others experiences, you will get the wackos, the "international" buyers, the curious. Comes with the territory. Comes down to whether or not you want to sell it or not. Once you decide then follow through.

I personally would be very interested in the car, but my timing is still a few months off. I think your price is solid.

Now having said all that, I sold my Cobra to a guy who spent maybe 10 minutes with the car. Never even wanted to drive it, go for a ride, nothing. I had to almost force him to want to see the motor, do a walk around, even have me start it up, etc. Of course my scam signs started screaming at me. The first time it was driven was when he drove it off. Weird. His cash was good so I am not complaining.

Anyway good luck with your decision. If it is for sale in a few months you will hear from me. I like the car. :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most used (and new) Vipers that Mike Robbins/Ringgold Dodge sells are delivered and never seen by the new owner until they arrive. I guess that is where people trust a bonified Dodge dealer/Viper tech more than the average Viper owner. You might consider letting him or someone similar broker it for you. I also get called upon by the purchaser to inspect them sometimes as a third party person.

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My thoughts on Viper Test Drives are the same as with my motorcycles. DON'T DO IT! No exceptions. Anytime I have sold a motorcycle or a Viper I have allowed a "1 Hour BuyBack" Basically if you are serious and want the car and can come up with the the cash. I will let you "test drive" the car for an hour (usually it is less than this) and if it's not everything I said it was then I will give you all of your money (check) back (no not a personal check either!), provided it is returned to me in the same condition. I once allowed a guy to test drive a motorcycle I was selling a few years ago that he assured me he could ride. He put it in gear and took off about 20 feet and hit a little rock wall in my yard and dropped the cycle in the mulch. Fortunately no damage was done, but a a lesson learned. It is doubtful someone is going to come up with $50K+ just for a joyride

There are just too many horror stories of Viper test drives (just ask Shelby3) to allow anyone to test drive your car IMHO. Give them a "test ride" first if they have never been in one and they appear serious.

CW

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine (a Dentist) was selling his 300ZX. Two guys came over and wanted a test drive. He said sure..leave me the keys to your car. It was a newer fairly nice car. They take off and never came back. About 4 hours later he realized he'd been duped. Called the fuzz. Ran a check on the car they left...it had been stolen from a car dealership in KC the night before. Found the ZX a month later totalled in a ditch in the middle of KS.....lesson learned!! :rolleyes: