Several Water Leaks in GTS, Mystery Found

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my '98 GTS the passenger side was filled with water under the floor mat. Bad enough that I could almost splash the water. I thought it came from machine that cleans the carpet. I lifted the carpet up, a pain because of all the glue, dried it the best that I could, then let it air dry. It dried pretty well after many days with the window open, so I put the floor mat back in. Days later cleaning my car I notice more water under the mat, I thought at the time that maybe it didn't dry out so well. Lifted the rug and waited several days. It was still wet. I did a search on here and found that some people had the same with water leaks. First, I discovered behind the speaker a two inch rip in the plastic, patched and thought I found the problem. Then discovered water coming out from the bottom of the door panel. I pulled the panel and found that the front corner of the plastic was not glued down and allowing water to run inside the panel and into the car. Tested again for leaks and still had water coming in from the front hinge area, but not as much, but still a lot. Took the hinge cover off and looked at the rubber seal for over an hour trying to figure how water keeps coming in. Climbed in the car with the window down and poured water on the hinge area to watch the water come in. I found that the water was coming in from an opening in the glue adhesive material that bounds the metal seams together in the bottom corner. I'm going to use black RTV on the outside and inside seam as soon as the metal airs out. This should be the end of my two month water drama. If your Viper leaks check the glued seams areas too. I also forgot to mention that I first put RTV on the bottom of my windshield under the crowl thinking that was the fix.

You must be registered for see images

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In very heavy rain you will also get a passenger footwell leak as a result of the ventilation airbox (under the hood grill) overflowing into the interior. There is a duckbill valve on the bottom as a drain, but it limits the flow and is soon overwhelmed in a heavy downpour.

All those at VOI7 remember this well.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger side also has the heater core ******* protruding upwards through the footbox. In moderate rain the top of the footbox gets wet and the sponge gasket (at least in Gen 1) is open cell foam that when saturated, will wick water into the footbox also. I "poured" silicone windshield glue (a very runny, clear silicone glue) onto it to seal it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas