Shift knob replacement on gen 1 car?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

How hard is it to replace the shift knob on a gen 1? I'd like to do it on my 94 and have searched the threads and while a lot of people seem to do it I haven't seen exactly how. Does anyone have a few pointers, is it easy or really complicated, anything that is tricky etc? Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys, I love this board! I was hoping it was that simple :) Is there any paticular thread size I need to get, I was wanting a knob like the pic below.

Attachments

• vgripper1.jpg
    vgripper1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 14

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You will need a 17mm open end wrench AND a 19mm open end wrench. Try not to kill yourself when the wrenches break the nuts loose!!! :)

Merry Christmas !!!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did mine in 5 minutes after i installed my short throw shifter, its a great diy job if you are not mechanically inclined

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the thread type is on the knob itself? Will a knob from another T-56 equipped car work, like from a mustang, camaro, or vette? There doesn't seem to be that many shift knobs available for the viper, and most of them are ugly.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will need a 17mm open end wrench AND a 19mm open end wrench. Try not to kill yourself when the wrenches break the nuts loose!!! :)

Merry Christmas !!!

Thanks for the tip Steve, Merry Christmas!

Yep that is the one I was looking at, love it!

did mine in 5 minutes after i installed my short throw shifter, its a great diy job if you are not mechanically inclined

Very mechanically inclined, nice to know it is easy thanks!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful taking the plastic surround piece off first. The tabs are easy to snap off.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful taking the plastic surround piece off first. The tabs are easy to snap off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey what's up Jason! What do you mean the plastic surrounds? I thought I just pulled the boot down a bit to get access???

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a plastic piece that surrounds the shift knob area and goes up to just below the radio section. You will likely have to pull that out in order to get the knob off. The boot might not be able to pull down over the jamnut holding the shift knob on the shaft. If you take that surround off, you can pull the boot up and get to it.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a plastic piece that surrounds the shift knob area and goes up to just below the radio section. You will likely have to pull that out in order to get the knob off. The boot might not be able to pull down over the jamnut holding the shift knob on the shaft. If you take that surround off, you can pull the boot up and get to it.

Ah, ok now I see what you mean, yeah I was looking at the whole area a few weeks ago, sure seems like it is a "cheapy" type material that would crack easy, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to get it down if I can, if not I'll make sure and be really careful, btw did you get Steve's email about the idea I had for spring? Talk to you soon man.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, ok now I see what you mean, yeah I was looking at the whole area a few weeks ago, sure seems like it is a "cheapy" type material that would crack easy, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to get it down if I can, if not I'll make sure and be really careful, btw did you get Steve's email about the idea I had for spring? Talk to you soon man.

Just be careful with it, you'll be fine. I'm getting ready to take mine apart again so I can take measurements to raise mine up a little. It's a bit too low.

I got the email, just been totally swamped at work for weeks. I'm in for sure, would be a great event and learning experience.

Obviously if you are just doing the knob you don't need to do all these things, but good info here.

Viper Shifter Shaft Installation

I loved the stock knob and shortened bolt.​

Great link carguy, that's exactly the process I was talking about. I'm up in your neck of the woods this weekend actually.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All you gotta do is work the boot down and break the 2 nuts loose. Don't even mess with the plastic surround around the console. Maybe Stretch did something different for that particular knob but it is a very simple less than 5 minute job with 2 wrenches. Be careful working the boot down. I have the same knob and once you get it on ......wow..what a difference! :beer:

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you gotta do is work the boot down and break the 2 nuts loose. Don't even mess with the plastic surround around the console. Maybe Stretch did something different for that particular knob but it is a very simple less than 5 minute job with 2 wrenches. Be careful working the boot down. I have the same knob and once you get it on ......wow..what a difference! :beer:
when you slide the boot down does it go back on tightly or do you rip some sort of attachment adhesive? i want to put an updated shift knob without lowering it much if any. I do not want to break anything

this is the one im looking at.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 wrench flats on the shifter ball base for the smaller wrench. The 3/4"/19mm jam nut is tightened right below it. Just tug down and twist the boot a little over the nut.

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21