Shifter Question

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed my Transmission and replaced it. Now my shifter rubs against the console when going into 1st or 2nd. Haven't been back under it yet, but I didn't remember any adjustments or ''play'' in the crossmember/mount parts. Anyone know right off how to correct/adjust this, as I am going under it again ,,,hopefully with proper knowledge ahead of time from some of you.

OP
OP
A

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, guess your're saying that there isn't an adjustment. Is there enough room on the stock mount to take a die-grinder to it? Just asking, but I've always been in favor of making the engine/trans as 'fixed' as practical.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you add up all the slop in the crossmember to frame, crossmember to mount, and then mount to tranny, there is a little adjustment.

Loosen all that stuff and then use something to persuade the tranny over and re-tighten.

Did you change your shifter by any chance, or did the new unit come with one. Reason I would ask is there's a bushing inside there that could be worn. A loose one would mean unnecessary travel or play. Also check and make sure that rubber shifter boot (under the leather one) is not twisted or wadded up. Unlikely, but I would peek.

OP
OP
A

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to take the 'play' out of everything to shift it over. Everything is new and stock so it should have lined backup. didn't think to check the clearance before driving as all is stock,,,live and learn!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang