Shipping motors

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have experience shipping motors door to door?Are there companies that will deliver and forklift into your garage? Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you need is for the truck to have a lift gate and a pallet jack, unless your driveway is hilly or bumpy. If so, then you'll need the forklift. Most big carriers do not do the forklift, but a smaller hot shot company could pick up the package from a local terminal for the final delivery.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have shipped 3 myself and had 2 delivered

some tips:
ship from and deliver to a business - you'll save tons of $$ on the shipping cost. it doesn't have to be an automotive business, just an address that the shipping co. knows they can get a truck in and out of for sure. just find a friend (like I did ;) ) to let you use his address.

shop around to compare prices - UPS freight, Fedex freight, and other big name co. might be more expensive than a smaller trucking co.

get an accurate weight before you start getting shipping quotes - a few pounds can put you in a different shipping class which means a huge cost difference. the shipping co. will also make you pay the difference if it weighs more than you claimed on your shipping bill.

pack it up like an egg - the truckers are not easy on freight. use a solid pallet and strap is down. make sure you drain all the fluids out and don't have any loose parts. the truckers hate a leaky package. put a piece of cardboard between the engine and the pallet to absorb anything that might drip.

insure it well - these can easily get damaged in shipping and you want to be fully covered.

as far as having a forklift, here is what I did
when receiving my crate, I backed a tall pickup (big 4x4) up to the back of the freight truck. the height difference wasn't much so with a couple guys we just slid it down into the pickup bed.
then I took it home, unpacked it, and used my engine hoist to lift it off the pickup.
almost the same with shipping. pack it and crate it in the back of a pickup. then took it down to the shipping co. and pushed it up into the freight truck.
as long as it isn't a long block with the trans. attached, this should work for you as well.

good luck! :)