carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can anyone help?

I want to buy a viper in the US

Drive maybe 1000 miles

Leave it at my dads in Seattle

Then he will ship it to me here in the UK

How can I insure myself to drive it in the US?

My Dad has tried but he would need to register the car himself and pay the 8% taxes

Anyone please?????

Carl

Reaction score
Hmmm, when I bought mine in 99 I called USAA and put it on our insurance. Then, I used the cool Three-Day trip permits that you can get in WA State. I didn't put tags on it for wel over a year (as I lived in Italy at the time).

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some states have laws that provide you insurance with the same coverage as any other vehicle you have insurance on for 30 days. This is HIGHLY unadvertised, but basically you have coverage on any vehicle you purchase for 30 days as long as you have current insurance on another vehicle you own.
I found out about this law when I bought my first wrecked viper and had it delivered to the bodyshop (undriveable). The car was outside and the wheels and tires were stolen. The bodyshop did NOT have insurance to cover theft. When I called my insurance they (reluctantly) told me about the law. (Of course I had to mail them off a premium that day, but at least I didn't have to eat the 5 grand.

Insurance companies won't tell you about this of course since they want to be paid from day 1 you own the vehicle. I found out the hard way, and just didn't think at the time of insuring a wrecked undriveable Viper being kept at a body shop. Lesson learned.