short throw shifter

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I bought a short throw shifter modification from Rich Detert (an independent that used to sell his conversion here on the site) and just never bothered to install it. It's a steel rod, threaded on both ends, to take the place of the steel and rubber connection between the shifter and transmission linkage. He used to sell it in 3 lengths...the longest was a half inch shorter than stock, which is what I got. Then recently I bought a Heffner Modified Airbox from Jon B. I just had both installed by my Viper tech...wow, what a difference! Haven't had a chance to really jump on it yet, so it's hard to give an objective opinion of the baffle-less airbox, but the Detert built shifter change is terrific. Linkage feels incredibly sturdy, very solid. Not that it ever felt real wimpy, but the solid feel this direct connection to the linkage has, has the old OEM design beat all to hell. I'm not sure whether Detert sells his conversion still, but I would 5 star, HIGHLY recommend this mod to anybody who still has the stock set up, with or without the stock shift knob. You will absolutely love it!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto! We just did the same thing to my dad's car, what a difference. I used to think the solid feel was from the short-throw shifter, NOT! Paolo

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Another recommendation.

Note though that the longest of the 3 is the stock length, not 1/2 inch shorter than stock. Perfect when used with MGW's "Gripper" shift knob. </FONT f>

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the product endorsement!

I still make the replacement shifter shaft in all 3 lengths, all of them will tighten up the feel of a stock shifter.

Stock Length (4.75 inches), works great with the MGW Gripper knob.

A 4 inch long length, which shortens the throw even more when used with the MGW Gripper.

A 3 inch long length, which works great with the stock shift knob. It shortens the throw and tightens the feel very noticeably.

I've also made custom lengths for Viper owners.

Here's a link to my website which has more info.
Rich's Shifter Parts